Killing fire ant colony under house - concrete slab so no crawl space

Page 3 of 3
On Monday, December 20, 2010 2:41:07 PM UTC-6, NorMinn wrote:

Fire ants are definitely very common, that is true, but from what I've seen and read the type of outbreak we have is rather atypical. Even the folks at our local county ag extension office haven't heard of such an indoor infestation of fire ants like we have before. Our bug guy treated the ants as if they were coming from the walls by baiting outside and spot spraying inside, and we've not seen one single ant in the yard since... so yes that is working. But in our situation they're under the house which takes more work. Until we found the massive line of ants from the sand trap there never were trails to bait per say. I would see a few here or a few there, but the few trails I saw were always at night or early in the morning when the bug guy wasn't around.
But Termidor in the sand traps has worked with the infestation, but given there's still paths for ants to come in through the pipes in the foundation (and their enzyme trails are now all over the place) we still have worker ants coming in all too often. So hopefully with more aggressive chemicals used in the walls where the pipes are that'll kill the few worker ants that do try to make it in and hopefully detour them all together eventually. I don't know how long it takes an ant colony to die out without water or food, but given they have zero ways to get inside hopefully they'll move elsewhere if the bait outside doesn't do the trick sooner.
Our bug guy came out yesterday and sprayed a chemical around the pipes in the kitchen and both bathrooms that will pretty much kill the ants on contact. The sand traps still have Termidor which will hopefully keep them at bay there, but we'll see if this along with some extra bait along side the house will work.
The bug guy did suggest that when the weather gets to the 70's and 80' to put some potato chips on the ground around the house and see if the ants come out to forge. If so put some Amdro around the area and see if they pick that up to carry back to the nest. If we can definitively get some of that to the queen(s) that should hopefully knock out the colony.
But thus far we're seeing fewer and fewer ants each week, so hopefully the spray he put down yesterday will help keep them at bay for the time being anyway.