Killer squirrel?

I was dragging some tree trimmings into an undeveloped tree filled portion of our land when I heard a nearby thud that sounded like something had fallen out of a tree. I looked up and saw a squirrel running down a tree and making tracks. Then I looked at the ground where I'd heard the sound of something falling and saw a dead squirrel with his throat ripped out.
I presumed the other squirrel I saw running away did the deed. Do squirrels treat their rivals this way? If now, then maybe there was an owl or hawk that did the deed, but lost their grip on the prey, and the other squirrel was escaping.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
There is also the possibility that the aggresive squirrel has rabies or something. I would call local animal control and ask them?
Lar wrote in message ...

Did the running squirrel have blood all over him? I doubt it. I like the predator theory. Around here I'm liable to see a squirrel running at any moment before another falls. And after.

ctrl-0 tried his best to impress us when it wrote:

-- A. Because it's not the normal flow of conversation.
Q. Why is top posting in usenet wrong?
Why does top posting make sense?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:37:26 -0400, "Art Begun"

Wrong.
--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org