kill them all! - the new gas can?

Page 1 of 5
I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the Florida law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was committee designed.
It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle) You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal left). The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls over and self destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.
If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the lawyers.
(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

When the EPA officials who mandated this can die and go to hell their punishment should be to have to use these cans.
On 9/10/2014 2:22 PM, Frank wrote:

If you dispense gasoline in Hell, doesn't it make the fire hotter?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/10/2014 4:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Certainly hotter for those that dispense the gasoline. That was part of my thinking.

this time you don't blame the lawyers. Plenty of time for that later. This time you blame the bureaucratic eco nazi's who have never used a gas can.
Buy a funnel. You will spill and vent more than with the old style gas can, but this is progress.

Must be the EPA as those cans seem to be all that you can get now. They took the vent off the cans years ago. A few years ago they made tht spout you have to push down.
I have some of the old 5 gallon and a 1 gallon can without the vent. They work ok buttake a long time to empty.
I bought a new one gallon can to mix oil for the weedeater about 2 years ago and have spilt more gas out of that can than I do out of all the other cans.
You can go on youtube and see how some are modifying the cans. I think you can buy some "water can replacement nozzles" . that will fit the gas cans.
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:53:33 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

I agree with the funnel idea for anything that will be using the whole can. (like a boat) I have a few old nozzles so it is not really an issue for me for my mower. On the cans that I have with the CARB (California) nozzle, I took the nozzle out and put a disk in the hole with a gasket I got at the hardware store. They have a perfect fit in the plumbing parts.
The ones I find on the side of the road, usually have a vent drilled in them and an old style nozzle. I assume these come from lawn service trucks since most have 2 stroke oil in them

next spring that damn spout will no longer "push down" to open and you will be bitching like the rest of us.
On 9/10/14, 2:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No-Spill. No leaking. Instead of pushing the nozzle, you push a knob with your thumb for better control, up to 3 gallons a minute. It even has a translucent strip so you can see how much gas you have.

That is one that I have not seen, Maybe they improved the can over those sorry push down nozzle cans like the one I have. I will have to look in the stores to see if I can find one like that.
On 9/10/14, 4:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The smallest at Amazon is 1.25 gallons. On the description, you can click for a video where No-Spill Jill fills a pitcher, a couple of jars, and a shot glass, all while busy gabbing. Besides the thumb button, it has an automatic shutoff, like the nozzle at a gas station.
Per Bob F:

Sounds like there has been a significant breakthrough in CARB-compliant gas container design.
How about posting a link to the exact product?
--
Pete Cresswell

Agree. I have to unscrew the spout and use a funnel. I've seen some hacks on www.youtube.com
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Those should be good cans for about $ 35 for a plastic can. I have not bought any in a long time, but they did not have a fancy nozzle and were under $ 10 for a 5 gallon can. No more than plastic costs, I would think that a 5 gallon can would not be more than 2 or 3 bucks more than the one gallon can.

So you will take 15 minutes to dump 5 gallons in your boat? No thanks. Use a funnel and throw that spout away.

Not exactly...that would be [5 gal]/[3 gal/min] minutes...
Still they're a bloomin' nuisance.
I'm fortunate in having a large supply of old 5-gal metal cans from years ago that contained hydraulic oil or the like so that I've no need for any new-fangled ones.
The one thing I am missing, however, is a decent small (1-2 gal) for the lawn mowers, etc. The plastic spout on the one has split and is in danger of failing entirely, unfortunately. It's got tape wrapped around it but haven't been able to find any way to repair it...

I have 2 five gallon cans of stabilized gas for my generator and if not used dump it in the car and get new gas. I didn't clock it but it took a long time, maybe 15 minutes. That was the second can. For the first I had misplaced the attachment needed for the gas tank and had to siphon the gas. Tried with a larger funnel but was spilling gas. These new cans are truly a PITA.

Florida

designed.

gurgle)

left).

self

lawyers.

They

spout

They

years ago

other cans.

think you

cans.

protection is active.

As a fine upstanding red, white and blue type of a feller, I would be the last one to suggest circumsizing any local/state/national/UN codes or anything... So let's talk about water.
If I were going to pour water from a metal or plastic can and didn't want that annoying glub glub glub noise, I might (not saying I would - just might) consider drilling a 1/16-inch breathing hole, and when finished pouring the water out, I might thread an eyebolt into to it to seal it up -- so that the water fumes wouldn't get out and globally warm the neighborhood.
One tip - don't drill the breathing hole in the bottom of the can. That might seem at first like the best place for it but it ain't. If it leaked then you'd might have a hazardous water spill to deal with. You could have the WATMAT team all over you. Not to mention WOSHA or the WPA.
oldyork90 wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:10:54 -0700:

The problem is, as I see it, that the California CARB mandated that the gasoline stay inside for the stated period, without losing an ounce (yes, they measure loss by weight); but they never bothered to mandate that the gas come *out* properly.
So, it stays in very well; it just doesn't come out all that well.
Ralph Mowery wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:53:33 -0400:

I gave up on using the spout, especially with the (heavy) five gallon cans (which is mostly what I use).
I just remove the spout when I use the can, and pour into a funnel.
Because the spout is useless, I tried to find a simple gas cap to put on the can. I couldn't find one. If only I could find a cap with the right threads, I'd be in heaven.
I have a dozen of the Blitz cans, but Blitz went out of business, but other companies bought their molds; but I *still* can't find a simple cap.
The simple cap would solve *all* the problems! a) It would hold the gas inside even better than the spout does. b) It would store much better (because it can't accidentally open). c) It would be easier to remove when you needed to pour the gas.
So, the best solution, if we can find it, is to find a source for the gas caps!