kill them all! - the new gas can?

Not Fed DOT that I'm aware of but CA CARB does require portable red/yellow/blue for gasoline/diesel/kerosene. Hence, manufacturers must follow suit to sell product in California...

Reply to
dpb

!!!!

And they have them down at the local True Value. Let's see - the can is now over $30. God I hate experts.

Reply to
oldyork90

Not just california, iowa too:

Scott Lurndal

I've heard that using gasoline in a diesel engine does MAJOR damage. I've found that disel in a gas engine doesn't run well at all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that wick lanterns will go super nova if run on Coleman fuel. The metal frame "rail road" lanterns do that. Or, so I'm told.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I doubt the IA market on its own would drive many manufacturers to make the shift... :)

Reply to
dpb

of course, an easy 40 seconds is better than a PITA less than 40 seconds.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Per Guv Bob:

Couple days ago, I received 5 of these:

They seem to work - with the caution that you need to use a conventional high-speed drill bit and not a spade bit. Get a hunk of similar polyethylene and try the drill you are going to use first.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Am I the only one that gets scared just thinking about a spark or something while pouring gasoline into a funnel?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It goes in the tank of my boat as fast as I can pour it out of a vented 5 gal can. I guess I will have to actually time it if this is that important to you. Maybe shoot it on a video for you.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have 2 five gallon cans of stabilized gas for my generator and if not used dump it in the car and get new gas. I didn't clock it but it took a long time, maybe 15 minutes. That was the second can. For the first I had misplaced the attachment needed for the gas tank and had to siphon the gas. Tried with a larger funnel but was spilling gas. These new cans are truly a PITA.

Reply to
Frank

I am not sure where the spark comes from, It is a plastic can, in contact with a plastic funnel, going into a plastic gas tank. Even if there was some static electricity, there is no gap for it to jump across.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've done it for years, and not had trouble, yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can see an issue if the filler is on the side of the vehicle like a gar but my boat tank fills from the top with a 1.5" filler neck and I use a 10" funnel with an exit hole that is about 1" ID It goes right in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

I've had tiny holes burned in the mylar of a windsurfer sail from some guy standing maybe 15' upwind sucking on a cigarette.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

If people are smoking while you are fueling, you should stop and go hit them on the head with your "Fish Billy". Stomp on the cigarette and go finish your fueling. Since my dock is about 200 feet from the nearest other house, I think I am safe. Nobody smokes here.

Reply to
gfretwell

Unquestionably Confused wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:16:52 -0500:

I agree. And I fill and empty a *lot* of five-gallon gas cans!

Danny D.

nestork wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:14:22 +0200:

I read the specs once (and posted a lot of it to a.h.r in the past). Yes. It must be red, although, this new can I bought just today is sort of a pale orangyreddish color ...

Danny D.

Dan Espen wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:11:15 -0400:

Heh heh ... look'it what I filled up today, and put in my trunk!

Danny D.

I used to use the True Value here, but it's gone since Lowe's opened. The other old hardware store is gone too. I did find those spouts at Tractor Supply.

BTW, I have one old gas can and 4 of the early new cans. On those the plastic body is the same except for the vent hole not being drilled. The EZ Pour spouts and caps (yellow caps) fit both.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd