Keyless chuck slippage

Any clever cures for that? I have a fairly new cordless drill that slips even more than my old corded drill. I've never liked keyless chuck, but no one sells anything else anymore.

Chucks are removable an can be replaced. I suppose you could use a keyed one too. Keyless have their limits, like dont try to hold a 3/8 bit and drill heavy steel.
On 9/29/2016 4:46 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Try hex shank drill bits.
| Try hex shank drill bits. |
That seems like a good idea, but I actually use it most with a phillips bit for screws, and that repeatedly comes loose, even falling out, despite having a hex shaft.
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 8:13:47 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

These quick change adapters work well: http://tinyurl.com/htsxrxm
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 6:47:24 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

The better quality/designed keyless chucks have carbine jaws and an improved locking mechanism. I bought a used Milw. Magnum M18 drill with a half inch keyless that performs well.
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 7:47:24 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

How new is "fairly new"? Any chance it's still under warranty?
I recently switched to Rigid and like the feel (size, balance and weight) much better than my trusty DeWalt (dead batteries). The lifetime warranty is attractive too.
| How new is "fairly new"? Any chance it's still under warranty? |
About a month. But it works fine. It just slips. I've never had a keyless chuck that didn't slip, but this is a bit worse than most. I just thought maybe someone had come up with a trick. (I've considered trying to file the contact surfaces a bit, to rough them up.)
I actually haven't used a portable drill for many years. They always seemed expensive and limited. But I had to get one for an outside job and now I'm very impressed with the power and battery life.
| I recently switched to Rigid and like the feel (size, balance and weight) | much better than my trusty DeWalt (dead batteries). The lifetime warranty | is attractive too. |
Why not just buy new batteries? I can't assess Rigid. I've never tried them. But they seem to be a low-end Home Depot product, so I doubt I will try them. I'd be curious to know whether others have had good luck.
Lifetime warranty? Probably pro-rated, though? And when have you ever had a drill that's fallen apart? I don't pay attention to warranties. They're usually not worth the trouble. If it works for the first few weeks I figure it's my responsibility after that.
I have had some bad experiences lately with Samsung DVD players. One died young. Then a Blu-Ray player turns out to have funky DRM built in that sometimes rejects normal DVDs. But the players were only about $40. So I've learned my lesson. No more Samsung. They don't seem to be the dependable company they once were. If I'd filed for warranties on both players I'd still just buy a replacement rather than hassle with warranty requirements to replace a model I don't really want to keep.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:02:35 -0400, "Mayayana"

bind up before they get tight otherwise
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:04:16 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

I have never had a "slippage" issue with keyless chucks. I've been using cordless drills for decades, mostly DeWalt.

New batteries (18V NiCd) for the DeWalt would have cost me ~$100.
For less than $150 on sale I got an 18V Li-ion kit - Drill and Impact Driver.
I'll leave the reading of reviews to you. I think it would be worth your while to check them out and don't discount them just because they are from a borg.

Not Pro-rated, batteries included. Again, read the reviews and read the warranty coverage.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

Then it obviously does NOT work fine.

I have a DeWalt 13V drill motor and a 13V Hitachi impact/drill motor. Both have keyless chucks and neither "slips". ;)
nb
Mayayana posted for all of us...

Another example of you get what you pay for. I use Milwaukee $$$, never had a problem.
I see many good answers but your symptoms seem to suggest a binding chuck. If Greg Fretwells lube job doesn't fix it I would return it.
--
Tekkie

On 09/29/2016 6:46 PM, Mayayana wrote:

You don't say what brand, but the quality matters.
I've several Milwaukee one-piece keyless chucks that don't slip even with large bits and hammer mode in steel or masonry/concrete.
OTOH, the little cheapie two-piece chuck on an inexpensive B&D is nearly impossible to even use, what more tighten for any "real" work...
By quality and I'd expect you'd not be disappointed.
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:31:02 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I'm curious about the brand in question also. It's must be a quality brand because Mayayana doesn't buy low end tools. When I mentioned Rigid he said "I can't assess Rigid. I've never tried them. But they seem to be a low-end Home Depot product, so I doubt I will try them."
I'm not sure how he determined that they were a low-end product (price does not always tell the whole story) so I suggested he read some reviews.
On 10/01/2016 9:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've not tried any of the Ridgid-branded stuff from HD, either; the only relationship with the Ridgid pipe tools is they've licensed the name; they have nothing to do with the manufacture of the products.
The outlet and the price points in general are what he's judged on doubt; altho most reviews I've read indicate the quality level is pretty decent for the price points...