key ring where to buy?

Page 2 of 2
Neill Massello wrote:

How about the license number?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I have a car too, with a big key.
Have you actually sprung a second key ring, or do they just look like the one that broke? If so, buy a third one somewhere else and it maybe be different.
Drill another hole closer to the edge. Make sure you won't hit an electronic chip.

On 2/7/2011 10:21 PM, mm wrote:

Ooh! A pet peeve of mine! Those idiotic combined-key-and-remote-fob monsters Chrysler used in mid-80s. They musta thought only people carrying purses bought their minivans. Damn thing is so big (almost like a serving spoon), and the ring loop is in such a bad spot, there is no way for a normal male to keep a ring with that on it in his pants pocket.
A previous dealer/lienholder had kept the 2nd fob key somewhere in the chain, so I had to waste 130 bucks on the way home getting 2 more keys with normal size heads. (If you only have one chip key, ya hafta get the magic number from dealer, and go to a locksmith with the machine.)
Of course, since they assume everyone will carry the silly huge key with the buttons, they only put a lock cylinder on driver's door and hatch, which is a constant PITA. I automatically hit the 'unlock' button when I get out now, so I can load stuff when I come back to car, without setting stuff down on the (usually wet around here) ground.
Never understood the appeal of button key fobs. You are standing at the car door anyway. Is sticking the key in the lock such a difficult process?

Apparently. My company car has no lock cylinder for the trunk lid, and to make matters worse, the buttons for the rear doors are at the rear of the doors not the front, so if the battery goes dead, here is the procedure for retrieving the jumper cables:
1) unlock driver's door with key 2) climb into back seat 3) unlock rear door 4) climb out again 5) fold down rear seat back 6) pull out milk crate with emergency supplies 7) retrieve jumper cables
really? This is progress?
nate

What make and model??
On 02/08/2011 06:33 PM, mm wrote:

2008 Impala.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have. Once I mistakenly installed two burglar alarms in the same car.
Another time, I think I had a constant load of some kind for a a month. I tried half-heartedly to find it but before I did, it went away on its own.
How could I mistakennly install two burglar alarms you might ask. I thought the second was just an attachment to the first, to radio a beeper to tell me the alarm had gone off. It turned out to be an entire alarm with that level of battery drain, but I didnt' notice that until I started having battery problems.
But for the last 10 or more years, I've used a Battery Buddy, which disconnects the battery before it discharges too much. They don't make them anymore but the Battery Brain is very similar. I just open the hood, press the big red button, and the car will start.
The Battery Brain has a more expensive model that will let you reset the Brain from inside the car, and will also let you disconnect the battery when you leave the car, if theft is a concern. I always have a way of disabling the hood release if I have to leave the car a long time in one place I don't want to leave it.

Bummer. I like Impalas. (At least the '66 Impala. I've sort of lost track since then.)
I'll be sure to avoid it, and check other cars to make sure they're not made this way.

On 2/7/2011 11:26 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Arrgh! I meant mid-2000s, of course.
-- aem sends...

go to WalMart or Home Depot and look around where they make the KEYS. Yikes!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You know how I know you didn't read my post?
yikes yourself.
nate

Try Google "valet keychain"

or is he referring to the key FOB,that has a coded chip?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hell if I know. At first I thought he wanted a pull-apart valet style for the mechanic. Now I re-read it an I think he just wants really strong springs.
Like some of these: http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H202304FN

I have left my car with the mechanic before and got home only to find I had left my house key on the key ring with my car keys. I bought one of those valet key chains. It makes it very easy to split the keys. Unfortunately it doesn't make your memory any better.
After the second time leaving my house key with the mechanic, I just hid a spare key at the house. :)
Metspitzer wrote:

Use a yellow or orange zip tie.

what's to worry is that the mechanic could make a copy of your house key,and use it later to burgle your home.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Available from office product firms that specialize in supplying auto dealerships and repair shops. Google it for names and addresses.
Joe

Why do you need a key ring? Is your key getting married? Go to a jeweler and buy your key a gold ring with the biggest diamond you can afford. After all, how often in life do you get to go to a key wedding? It's a special occasion, treat it as such!
I haven't used a metal key ring for decades. I cut off a few inches from a leather shoelace, string my keys on it, match the ends and tie a single knot. I've found it a great deal more reliable than any key ring or chain. Lasts several years, then I cut a few more inches off the shoelace. I think the leather shoelaces I bought in 1973 are almost used up and I'm gonna have to buy a new pair, dang it.
Only downside is that taking a key off (for example for a mechanic) is a pain, because the knot gets pretty tight after a while. If I had to do that daily, I would not like my solution. In fact I probably do it half a dozen times a year, which I can manage.
Edward