kerosene heater

Good Morning Everyone

I am about to put my kerosene heater in the shed for the season. Should I siphon the kerosene back into the container or leave it in the heater for the next 6 months? Thanks in advance for any advise, Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie

my opinion - leave it. i have a heater that is used for power outages only and the fuel sat for 2 years and worked, burned fine.

Reply to
robson

manufacturer reccomend to burn the tank dry then wipe out the tank with cloth so its dry. turns out , old kero wont go thru the wick or burn good. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Drain it - then run it dry.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

This has some good tips...

borgunit

My kerosene heater is 15 years old. I have used it maybe 5 times, for an average of 4 days each, over those years.

I have never drained it, and it works fine. I have also used 8 year old kerosene, and it burned perfectly well. So, unless someone can document the deterioration that occurs in 6 month old kerosene, I will have to think it is doesn't happen. Gasoline gums up and the high volatiles evaporate; that can't happen to kerosene.

On the other hand, I have refueled while it was burning; and I have to concede that is pretty stupid.

Reply to
toller

I like to store them dry. Drain em out, take the unit outside, burn it till the kero is all gone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, good tips. I find that replacing the wick each year is a major help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Phisherman

we got a retired guy who works on kero heaters in the fall and winter. there are many people who bring the same heater back every fall cause it wont burn right. they usually have kero in them from last season, he cleans em out and puts in a new wick to makem burn good.i dont know why that is that they need service every year.. lucas

Reply to
ds549

I don't think it can. Kerosene recovered from 3rd Dynasty Egyptian tombs worked as well as the day it was buried.

Reply to
HeyBub