kerosene heater

Good Morning Everyone
I am about to put my kerosene heater in the shed for the season. Should I siphon the kerosene back into the container or leave it in the heater for the next 6 months? Thanks in advance for any advise, Bonnie
my opinion - leave it. i have a heater that is used for power outages only and the fuel sat for 2 years and worked, burned fine.
Drain it - then run it dry.
manufacturer reccomend to burn the tank dry then wipe out the tank with cloth so its dry. turns out , old kero wont go thru the wick or burn good. lucas
This has some good tips...
http://www.iii.org/media/publications/brochures/kerosene /
Yes, good tips. I find that replacing the wick each year is a major help.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:57:58 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (borgunit) wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

I don't think it can. Kerosene recovered from 3rd Dynasty Egyptian tombs worked as well as the day it was buried.
My kerosene heater is 15 years old. I have used it maybe 5 times, for an average of 4 days each, over those years.
I have never drained it, and it works fine. I have also used 8 year old kerosene, and it burned perfectly well. So, unless someone can document the deterioration that occurs in 6 month old kerosene, I will have to think it is doesn't happen. Gasoline gums up and the high volatiles evaporate; that can't happen to kerosene.
On the other hand, I have refueled while it was burning; and I have to concede that is pretty stupid.
I like to store them dry. Drain em out, take the unit outside, burn it till the kero is all gone.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus