Kenmore Washer - Standing Water Inside Tub

I have a 15 year old Sears Kenmore Model Series 2891 Heavy Duty 90 Stylemaster 902202 clothes washer that started acting up today. At the end of the last spin cycle, when all the wet clothes are squeezed and sticking to the sides due to the centrifugal force of the spin, the is an inch or so of standing water at the bottom of the tub inside the washer. At the same time, cold water continues to drip heavily, coming from what appears to be the inner top wall inside the washer. I would then turn off the cold water faucet outside and the dripping would stop, but the pool of standing water remains. The I turn on the cold water faucet again and the leak does not come back. Then I put another load and the same problem occurs all over again.
I would appreciate any advice as to what the source of the problem is and whether is is within an average do-it-yourselfer's ability to fix. Thanks.
ftt
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Filipo) wrote:

sounds like the solenoid that controls the incoming water is stuck. I believe it is naturally closed ( electric current not applied) it opens when the timer tells it too and the level control has it's say. I'd tap on it (them) gently. do you want me look this up in a repair manual I have? snipped-for-privacy@humboldt1.com "If I can not dance, I want no part in your revolution." Emma Goldman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Filipo) wrote in message
Hi,

None of these are a model#. http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Kinked hose, bad pump, loose belt ( depending on the model/style ) are soem possible trouble makers.

Fill valve sounds like it is not 100% closing and is dripping some water all the time = new fill valve time. The fill valve is where the hot and cold hoses are attached to the washer.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

who offered to look into his repair manual, please do. Any help will be appreciated, as always.
ftt
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Filipo) wrote in message

Hi,
I got 110.72891110 to work as a model#. Inglis/Whirlpool built belt driven Kenmore washer.
http://www.applianceaid.com/beltwasher.html http://www.applianceaid.com/inglis-common.html
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N41 Whirlpool, Kenmore belted washer repair manual Describes step-by-step repairs for the most common belt-driven washing machine problems.

As Jeff said, the whole model number should be 110.72891110

You can read about the water valves used on appliances at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/search.cgi?query=water+valve
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+washer
=~~~~~~
i have a similar washer and have done a similar repair on it 2 yrs ago. the problem was the water switching valve(s) inside case at back where hoses wnter unit. my solenoid switch was ok easy to check with multimeter. i got the part at a local appliance repair shop -pretty cheap too ... paininthea** job was getting the top and outer panels back on, as opposed to the actual plumbing. i think i replaced the hoses, inside and out, and disabled that cover shutoff switch while i was in there. if u know about kenmore washers, i have posted a ? 03/06/04 i need help with. good luck.