Kenmore washer repair

I'm trying to repair my washer. It is a top loaded Kenmore / Sears machine about 20 years old.
The problem is that the dry- spinning does not wait for the water to be removed. (The pump works)
Also, I noticed, that while it is spin-drying opening the lid does not stop the action. (It suppose to and always did)
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Uzi
It sounds like the water is not pumping out fast enough. Look for a kink in the drain hose. Also there cound be a sock in the pump. Pull off the hoses on the pump & look for obstruction. Also if your model has a self clean filter it could be clogged. If it's clogged,replace it or just get a connector & bypass the filter & put a strainer on the end of the drain hose to collect the lint. As for the lid switch it is bad on jammed closed with detergent goop.

on 7/26/2007 8:25 AM Uzi Barzilai said the following:

There should be a plastic pin on the lid that when the lid is closed, presses a switch in the top of the washer. Check that the pin is not broken off the lid. If not broken, check and repair or replace the switch. Two visible screws hold it in place. Put your hand between the top and drum and you can feel the switch and wires. It is easy to slide the switch out between the top and the basket. I don't know about the drain problem, but since it is before the spin cycle, it may also be due to the switch.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"Uzi Barzilai" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Thanks, Steve,
Nothing like experience. Does this failure explain both phenomenon I observed? 1.Spinning starts before water depletion 2. Spinning does not stop (as should) when I lift the lid.
Also, if this is the case and I don't want to replace a cotter pin every so often - what part should I buy?
Much thanks, Uzi

What I explained will have nothing to do with the lid problem. Sounds like your lid switch is stuck or bypassed. I always bypassed mine on the top loaders then you don't have to close the lid at all.
--
Steve Barker

"Uzi Barzilai" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Thanks, Steve,
So I must have two independent failures. Rare but possible.
I'll take it apart and follow your lead. Uzi

Hey, the couple next door has 5 failures, ages 14 to 26.