Kenmore washer repair

I'm trying to repair my washer. It is a top loaded Kenmore / Sears machine about 20 years old.

The problem is that the dry- spinning does not wait for the water to be removed. (The pump works)

Also, I noticed, that while it is spin-drying opening the lid does not stop the action. (It suppose to and always did)

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Uzi

Reply to
Uzi Barzilai

desgnr

on 7/26/2007 8:25 AM Uzi Barzilai said the following:

There should be a plastic pin on the lid that when the lid is closed, presses a switch in the top of the washer. Check that the pin is not broken off the lid. If not broken, check and repair or replace the switch. Two visible screws hold it in place. Put your hand between the top and drum and you can feel the switch and wires. It is easy to slide the switch out between the top and the basket. I don't know about the drain problem, but since it is before the spin cycle, it may also be due to the switch.

Reply to
willshak

there is two shift solenoids underneath, one shifts from agitate to spin, the other shifts the pump in and out. the one that shifts your pump has a broken pin in it. Been there , done that 18 times. You can buy a new part, or you can stick a new cotter key through the hole every month or so.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks, Steve,

Nothing like experience. Does this failure explain both phenomenon I observed?

1.Spinning starts before water depletion
  1. Spinning does not stop (as should) when I lift the lid.

Also, if this is the case and I don't want to replace a cotter pin every so often - what part should I buy?

Much thanks, Uzi

Reply to
Uzi Barzilai

What I explained will have nothing to do with the lid problem. Sounds like your lid switch is stuck or bypassed. I always bypassed mine on the top loaders then you don't have to close the lid at all.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks, Steve,

So I must have two independent failures. Rare but possible.

Reply to
Uzi Barzilai

Hey, the couple next door has 5 failures, ages 14 to 26.

Reply to
mm