Kenmore Washer 16502 Tub Ring Damage

I have a Kenmore Washer #16502 and it has been working fine for the last three years.
Today I discovered the "tub ring" - the top plastic portion of the tub is badly damaged. The inside of the tub ring (the part that is facing the agitator) seemed to be, for lack of a better word, "fraying". Plastic fibers are coming off it for no apparent reason. I am certain this did not happen over time, but probably over the period of one week or less. Almost looked like I was washing knives and electric drills and saws in the washer. I cannot figure out what could have caused this, and there seems to be no damage on other plastic parts (for example, the plastic agitator cap is perfectly OK with no damage or even a slight scratch).
What could have happened to cause such a damage? I did not put any metal parts into the washer except for zippers on pants.
Is this part replacable? I have a parts diagram with the original owner's manual and it does not show this tub ring under the "Do It Yourself Replacement Part - May Be Purchased" listing. Not sure how I would take it apart anyways - seems I have to remove the lid first is this a pretty straight forward task for someone who is fairly handy (except for electrical stuff)?
Any advise appreciated and thanks in advance,
orange
Your problem is not unheard of - usual thing that causes it is people washing tennis shoes, which float on top.
What we need from you is a full model and serial number - these are straignt in front of you when you lift the lid. Model number will start 110. Once we have that, should be able to identify your tub ring and get a part number.
Mad Mac:
Model 110. 16502690 Serial CF3309631 Stock 16502
but I did not wash any shoes.
Thanks,
orange
Mad Mac wrote:

Suspect I may have misunderstood what you mean...do you mean the plastic "balance ring" which fits on top of the porcelain-on-steel spin basket (the part with all the holes in it)? If so, this is generally not available separately. However, if you have one of the white porcelain baskets, this has a lifetime warranty (part only - you would have to pay a trip/labour chargeof about $110). I used to be a Sears tech - I PERSONALLY would have covered your problem under that warranty, others may take the view that this applies only to the porcelain.
BTW, your washer was manufactured in week 33 of 1996 - see how a full model and serial nukmber helps?

Hi,
You have a direct drive style....this will help to get the cabinet off for a better peek.... http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html
jeff.

Forgot....Ring-balance.... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N15809 The ring comes as a seperate part from the inner basket on your model :)
jeff.

of control console or remove endcaps from control console and then remove screws. Flip console up and back on it's hinges and you will see a couple of clips in top of cabinet near top/back. Remove these, unhook wiring harness to lid switch and spread back of cabinet a little to release if from plastic channels, lift cabinet up and forward and the whole thing will come off. Of course unplug machine before doing any of this. On these machines, never lay them on their side or oil will run out of the transmission vents. Should be almost totally serviceable without even moving machine. Also should be able to get from Sears parts a complete service manual for about $10.
Hi,

Above is not a model#....some model# helps... http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

Some tub balance rings come with the inner basket only and some may come seperate, the ring can be damaged from overloading or something getting caught on it.
jeff.