Kenmore Dishwasher motor removal

I am trying to take the motor out of my portable 18" dishwasher that is about 8 years old. I have removed all of the bolts, and it seems to be hanging freely, but it won't come off. From what I understand it should just drop out the bottom. It seems to be attached still in the middle. The shaft still turns, and I can turn the motor freely from the bottom side, but I can't get it out.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Hi J,

The 18 inchers were made by Frigidaire, and the motor should come out *up* through the inside. Most DW's of your vintage had 3 or 4 retainers underneath that you turn to release the unit from its recess. They pulled up pretty hard in some cases, bc the rubber gasket prvides a lot of friction. I've had tp put a 1 X 2 under the motor after turning the retainers, and gently pry up to break the assy free in some cases.

Older machines had a plastic retaining ring, in two halves, held in by large screws from inside the tank. Once the screws were removed, the ring came apart and allowed the unit to be pulled, again, up into the tank, not out from underneath.

Send me your model number and I can be a lot more specific. It should start with '587.'

What was the problem with the motor? Seal failure & water through it?

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 30-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter:

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi Dave

Thanks a lot for the info, and offer for help

The dishwasher started to make loud noises, and smoke when turned on, so the plan was to take out the motor, and bring it in for repair.

The model number is 587 17345 790

We have taken out all of the bolts and such, but it seems that the motor is now just hanging there from middle.

Thanks much