keep or trash: hot tub and deck?

I have a deck (20x20 feet) and a hot tub in my backyard that I never used and has fallen into disrepair. The deck needs to be restained and there are some rotted areas. There are dirty water and bugs living in the hot tub.
Now I'm thinking of selling the house. Is it better to dump both these entirely and repave the lawn, or to repair them? This is in the seattle area.
peter wrote:

Without seeing it or knowing a whole lot more, it's impossible to give advice. At one extreme, you have a deck/spa which with a little repair work and paint is functional and adds to the value of the property. At the other extreme, you have a deck with rotting surface and supports, a spa thats a piece of junk at the end of its life, and not worth fixing. Which it is cant be determined from here.
peter wrote:

The important part of the equation is local demand. Some parts of the world really like them others don't. You local real estate agent can help you out there.
My personal preference would be to see it gone. I think the hot tub craze has run it's time and is no longer much of a selling point, but that could be different in different parts of the world.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

care of the feeding and upkeep.
When I shopped for houses, I skipped right over any with pools. I love pools, but not enough to offset the expense and pita factor, given the 90-110 day swimming season around here.
aem sends...

A pool is not a hot tub. Hot tubs do not require very much upkeep at all, and can be used all year. If you REALLY didn't want a hot tub, and you looked at a house that had one, it would be easy enough to get rid of it. Someone might actually pay you for it, and haul it away.
An inground pool, however, is a very different animal. It requires more upkeep, and would be hard to get rid of if you didn't want it.
Yea its dirty remove it, why bother cleaning, and your idea of paving the lawn is good to, or you could paint the lawn, I hear thats being done now.

I would ask several real estate agents what they think. They have firsthand knowledge of what buyers are looking for and know what turns them off.
peter wrote:

If you either give it away or include it with the house, be sure to advertise it as:
HOT TUB: holds one male and three females.
Probably your realtor will tell you to trash it. Its a shame to junk such a nice amenity, but also to put work and money into something that you won't be able to enjoy. Some people like hot tubs but a family with little kids won't, and a family trying to have kids can't even use one anyways.