Junked car left on my property by former tenants

Page 1 of 3

This is possibly a litttle off topic.
I have a rental property. The tenants I had skipped out on their lease, and left the house filthy and did not provide heat which caused some plumbing damage. I already intend to take them to small claims court for the damages, cleaning, and unpaid rent according to the lease.
My question is this: I will have new tenants moving into the property, and these old tenants left a junked car in the driveway. I told them in writing that it must be removed, while they were still living there. They moved about a month ago, and this junker is still on my property. Can I legally have a wrecker remove it? What is the proper and legal method to get rid of this piece of junk?
Thanks
landlord4068@_______.com wrote:

I'll bet that50 states have 50 different laws. Cities too. Start with city hall. Jim
landlord4068@_______.com wrote:

Depends where you are. Many (most?) states have specific provisions relating to property abandoned by tenants. You'll need to clue up on your state landlord/tenant laws and/or consult an attorney.
It's quite likely that you'll have to give some kind of formal notice(s) before removing the vehicle.

I've had success in the past with a similar situation by contacting the local board of health. If they can be convinced that it harbors rats or some other health issue, they can often cut through any red tape and get it removed.

My mother-in-law goes to Missouri every summer to visit her sister for three months. During the time she was gone last summer, someone abandoned a car in front of her house. We called, and they told us that the car could not be impounded unless it was blocking a driveway or impeding traffic.
Well, just a little push, and voila! It was now blocking her driveway.
The car was gone in four hours.
Does this give you any ideas?
Steve

Start at city hall, or with the wrecker company.
Here, in Las Vegas, about ten years ago, the freeway system was being expanded. It went through new territory near where I lived. On that property was a derelict automobile, the type that had no engine, no tranny, and only consisted of a shell, even with no doors. It rested on its roof. It had probably 500 bullet holes in it.
They did a news story on it.
In order to "LEGALLY" remove the auto from the oncoming freeway, they had to post a bright lime green sticker on it for 90 days notifying the "owner" that if they did not move the automobile by a certain date, it would be towed.
Don't you love "the process"?
Steve

It is generally a lot easier to get a car removed from private property.

Yes, generally. But tenants have a lot of very specific rights and protections in most jurisdictions. Removing a tenant owned vehicle could be quite tricky.
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 03:23:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

You must live in the people's republic of california. Most states in "flyover country" still respect property rights. These scum lost their tenant rights when they broke the lease and trashed the house. I would part the car out on Ebay and have the hulk towed. Around here you would never get a jury to fault me. The counter suit for landlord damages, would more than cover any thing they could come up with as tenant damages. They regularly hold people to the terms of broken leases, even if the apartment was left in immaculate shape and immediately rented. The former tenant still pays the penalty (usually up to a year's rent) after they left ... or at least have a judgement against them.

Guilty as charged.

That warms the cockles of my heart ;-)
(Malcolm Hoar)

It gets worse in rent controlled cities like San Francisco where the whole legal system is so pro tenant. They have unlimited access to free or cheap legal aid whereas the landlord pays the going rate of a few hundred $ per hour. Ten years ago my eviction lawyer said it was not uncommon for the landlords to shell out $60k or more for attorney fees and court costs. Tenant moving fees may cost the landlord as mush as over $20k assuming you could get them to move. There are cases where property purchased with the intend for the owner to live in it but the tenant could not be evicted. With rent increase limited to something like 1% per year who wants to move? Its a welfare system paid by the landlords. It would be so lucky if tenant skips out and left a junker on the driveway.
(Malcolm Hoar)

You must live in the state of lunacy.
There is no answer to this question.
IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE THE SITUATION TAKES PLACE, BONEHEAD.
Giving legal advice about how this SHOULD to or how that WILL go shows arrogance and immaturity.
It varies according to where the OP lives. Got it?
Telling someone about what you would do, or how it works where you are, or how you think it should work isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's like telling someone who asks about the weather in Maine how the weather is and is going to be in Arizona.
Get a clue. Buy a vowel.
Steve

No just a state that understands the obligations that come with signing a contract and the value of property rights.

Well, the OP lives in a different. A state where tenants can violate the contract and its obligations, and where said tenants have no value of other's rights, property or otherwise. I don't believe the contract has a clause in it where the landlord is obligated to babysit and store the renter's car for an indefinite period of time for free, and be responsible for it on top of that.
If it was parked in my driveway, I'd give it a week, then push it out in the street. If it wasn't gone in two days, I'd put a lit cigarette in there and say I had seen homeless people sleeping in it.
Welcome to the world, pal. Some of us live with hard realities and hard (not really) solutions go human pesty problems.
Steve
Steve B wrote in message ...

in the

there and

hard
Saw my parents go through that many years ago, trying to get a "tenant" out on a lease to buy. It dragged on for over a year here in California. Fortunately, the house burned down when the tenant was away, and that solved the problem. :-)
Cheri
Steve B wrote:

The rental next to us had someone move in with 3 junk cars. One day they up and left and took everything (which consisted of a PS2, a TV and some clothing) but left the junk cars. The landlord tried to get someone to tow the cars, no one would (this the great state of nc). I saw him out there one day so I asked him what was up. He told me that he couldn't get the cars towed despite the renters breaking their lease. After a couple of beers (I was trying to bribe him to quit renting to people who had been evicted from everywhere else) I told him I was filing a complaint over them since they were an eyesore.
I called it in to the city and they gave him a week to take care of the issue. He tried to contact the former renters again, no luck. One day 3 tow trucks showed up and hauled them off. The local cop was there to make sure the renters didn't appear and go nuts.
I had someone leave a dead car in my driveway once while we were on vacation. I pushed it out into the street (fun when it had 2 flats). The next day the cops put a ticket and a 7 day "move it or lose it" sticker. Day 7 came and they towed it away. They knew who owned it after tracing the VIN, so he ended up getting a bill for it.
Good luck with this, post back your findings!
Steve B wrote in message ...

or
It's
weather is

As Paul Rodriquez would say...I'll take a *K* Pat. ;-)
Cheri
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh, no. In that case, there are no damages. You'd never win. The ex-tenant could even sue for their deposit and win.
-rev
On 15 Dec 2006 08:46:32 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light"

There are a lot of people paying landlords who would dissagree with you. A lease is a contract. Break the lease and you are in breach of contract. Lawyers sue you for that and they win.

Yes. Then they bill you, and let you squeeze the turnip, expecting blood, but getting flatulence.
Judgments are easy to get. Cash is not.
Been there, done that.
Steve