jumping spider like things

This year I have these jumping spider like things in my basement. any one know what they are and how to kill or eradicate them.

Reply to
allan

They are not jumping spider like things, they are jumping spiders. If it is not a well used living area, leave them be. They jump all kinds of nastier and more damaging critters, including flying termites, flies, carpenter ants, bees, etc etc. Humans are not one of their prey.

Reply to
Roger

i think i have the same black bugs.. they are kinda hard to kill by hand.. i tried crushing them and they are quite hard to kill. kinda hard body.. unlike roaches a little squish with some tissue paper on the hand and they dont die.. you gotta really push on them and really squeeze them good to get them to die.... i have never seen these things before(they are not spiders, they have just six legs), spiders have eight legs.. i have seen them jump and fly away....... do yu know what they are?????

Reply to
jim

You've got me stumped. Sounds like it COULD be jumping spiders, though :o) Here is a link to info about jumping spiders, which says don't worry :o)

The article says they prey on other insects, so I'd be looking for other bugs that may be attracting them.

Reply to
NorMinn

In article , snipped-for-privacy@his.com says... :) This year I have these jumping spider like things in my basement. any :) one know what they are and how to kill or eradicate them. :) I am guessing you have camel crickets...

so they are wintering over. Reducing the crawl space moisture and using fans to create air circulation...have the crawl space dusted for insects, use a residual in the basement area. If the weather is mild where you are you may treat the mulched flower beds near the house. I am not really sure how effective "cricket baits" that are readily available will work on them, but if you find out it is, spreading that around the foundation and hidden areas of the basement should help.

Reply to
Lar

If it is indeed crickets, might a suggest a few small lizards. They love to eat the crickets. Don't know what you'd need to get rid of the lizards though.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

Spiders (which have 8 legs; do yours?) are bug predators. They are in your basement because they found food, i.e. bugs. Thus your basement is attracting other bugs first, so you may want to look at issues such as moisture (do you need a dehumidifier?), cleanliness (dirt crawlspace anywhere?), and access (perhaps recaulk the foundation/house junction for starters).

Reply to
Dan Hartung