It's NOT okay to shoot gerbils

"[A Wisconsin man] found out it's not OK to shoot raccoons and gerbils in the village after a neighbor called police July 1 to report someone was discharging a .22 caliber rifle in a back yard... He told police that he and his neighbors frequently shoot at nuisance animals. Police told him not to do it any more."
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20090709/OSH0101/90709116/1987
Now before you raise your eyebrows, gerbils CAN be a nuisance animal if there are a lot of them.
HeyBub wrote: ...

Where "a lot" is clearly any number >0...
I've heard chipmunks are highly destructive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
dpb wrote:

"The night the cat learned to open the gerbil cage will forever be etched on our memory..."
From that subject line, I thought you were launching gerbils out of a PVC canon with hair spray and piezeoelectric igniter. Just goes to show what a bit of fatigue and dehydration can do.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Except, in some states*, burglars, home invaders, or drunk teen-agers who've become lost.
------- * My state allows deadly force against anybody, including gerbils, engaged in "criminal mischief during the nighttime."

re: " * My state allows deadly force against anybody, including gerbils, engaged in "criminal mischief during the nighttime." "
My (limited) research has shown that "criminal mischief" law typically says something like:
Criminal mischief Sec. 2. (a) A ***person*** who: (1) recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally damages or defaces property of another person without the other person's consent; or...
Note the words "A person who".
Unless the laws in your state specifically mention something to the effect of "small furry, four legged creatures", I'm not sure you could use "criminal mischief" as the reason for shooting gerbils. I'm not saying you can't shoot them, I'm just saying I'd be surprised if gerbils were included under the "criminal mischief" statute.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I used to be a cop. Believe me, I've arrested a number of *people* who were designated as squints, unibrows, scrots, snitches, filth, pustules, hooligans, miscreants, do-bads, humps, perps, skels, anglers, gomers, and so on. Animals arrested include:
* gerbils * goblins * gophers * rats * apes * rabbits * geese * hoot owls
I once had to take into custody about 100 freakin' white mice that some prankster let loose in a bookstore. Maybe they were albino gerbils?