It's come to this...

Page 2 of 2
aemeijers wrote:

They're everybody's favorite prey.
Most females get NO training in house and car repairs growing

curly'q wrote:

It is even more basic..... No respect or interest in education. You can offer all the classes you want, and GED requirements, but too many folks don't value, or see a need for education. School is just a place to dump the kids when they are young, and a social hangout when they are older. It is families that value education, demand learning from their kids, make sure their kids struggle with homework and school projects, that pull ahead. Why go to school when the government will pay you to stay at home and have babies? - paul
aemeijers wrote:

Add in something like "how to make a beat up fridge/filing cabinet/dishwasher front/whatever look like new with some 320 grit, a sanding block, and a rattle can of appliance epoxy" and I'm with ya.
I actually take some perverse satisfaction in taking something two steps away from the dumpster and making it look respectable again. That, and a lot of older stuff is more quality made than new stuff...
Of course, taken to an extreme, you end up like... well, me. Drives the girlie nuts, because there's half finished projects all over the damn place just waiting for a nice warm day to be dragged outside and sprayed. "Why can't we ever have new stuff?" Well, 'cause I don't make $150K/year. Wish I did, but I don't.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It's up to the person. My little sister in law got a used green Datsun 210 in about 1978 for her sixteenth. Dad showed her how to check the water and oil. He told her that if she didn't keep them full and the car burned up, she'd be the one paying the repairs.
One day, she got ready to go. She came back in and said that her car was a quart low, and she was going to put oil in it. Good girl. About half an hour later, we were leaving, and she was STILL putting oil in the car. We investigated, and found that she found a tiny funnel, and was slowly pouring it into the dipstick tube. We showed her the oil filler cap, but she thought out a solution of her own that worked.
Some things you cannot teach.
Steve

Well, it makes perfect sense if she had one seen someone putting in transmission fluid.
We have had those wheel/tire rentals here (San Antonio) for probably at least 15 years. The OP as I recall is in Houston, so I can't beleve they are anything new there. Besides the utter stupidity of the deal, if I ever bought a vehicle with those ugly pieces of crap, I'd have them off of it so fast it would make a Nascar pit crew look like slow motion. A few years ago the owner of a fair sized strip center in an older/poorer section of town had us service all the furnaces. They were all regular residential type furnaces, upflow in closets, so I was inside each business. One was a furniture/appliance rental place that had two suites. I had never actually been inside one before-- it was mind boggling. In the furniture section they had lamps-- just plain ordinary table lamps-- for $2.00/month. I have seen nicer ones at yard sales for that much or less. For that matter I've even seen them at the curb for the trash pickup. There is not just one simple cause for this type of thing. With some it is just plain stupidity. There are a lot of HS grads that couldn't tell you what 10% of 100 is without a calculator, and probably about as many that couldn't WITH a calculator. The worse thing is that a lot are second or third generation stupid. Kids follow examples and if the parents have absolutely no sense with money, it's pretty likely the kids will be the same. The other thing is that they want everything right now, and think they have some God given right to have it. The idea of saving up for something is totally foreign to them. AEM is right on point about requiring basic everyday skills being taught, and learned, in HS. Most, but certainly not all boys know the basics about car upkeep and such, but everyone should also have to know basics of food preparation, including buying and storage of foods as well as just cooking., and also how to do basic laundry using a standard W &D. I gotta give them credit for one thing tho-- you'd be hard pressed to find one out of a hundred that doesn't know every single function and feature of their cell phone. Got plenty more to rant about, but will save it for another time. Larry
Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:

Amazing/sickening...
That last part is a big one, and it's effects are seen very widely, not just poor and minority, but middle and upper class levels as well. All end up spoiled, be it by welfare or by parents stroking their own egos buying the kids ridiculous stuff.

Perhaps in Texas, but certainly not in a lot of places. A friend of mine is a science teacher at a "magnet" school that supposedly gets the "gifted" kids. The horror stories he's told about these "gifted" students who have no idea how to use a socket set, or worse yet, have no idea how to use a ruler! I mean, come on, didn't you learn how to use a ruler in elementary school or earlier???

Absolutely, no discrimination or sexism, everyone needs to get the full spectrum from Baking to Welding, Woodworking to Sewing.

I think it's lots of other things. If many of these people were suddenly thrust on an island, ala Robinson Crusoe, they may work out just fine. Or maybe they'd be dead in a couple of days. My brother in law is illiterate, and his construction company did $12 million last year. Go figger.
Steve
e.

Girl in front of me at the PO asks the clerk if they have 1 cent stamps. She says yes, how many do you need. Ten. We only have nine. OK, I'll take nine. How much do I owe you? Place went silent to see if the clerk could hold her composure. The only thing that would have made it better was the clerk using the calculator.

Don't keep us in suspense, how much did she owe?

tap, tap, tap, kaching! 9 cents??
wrote in message

Sorry, the kaching! was your time expiring. Please try again later.
wrote in message

Ah, you must have one of those calculator things.
Andy Asberry wrote:

I love clerk stories! Here's one:
During the 1st week of the 1st Gulf War I'm in the grocery check-out.
Ding-Ding! Female Clerk: "Congratulations sir, you've won a loaf of Randall's famous French Bread!" Me: "I don't like the French. Can I have a loaf of pita bread?" Clerk: "Uh, no. We only have French." Me: "San Francisco sourdough? Mexican cornbread?" Clerk: "Just the French..." Me: "Anyone in line want a free loaf of perfidious French bread?" (one hand goes half-way up) Me: "Give it to the fellow in the orange shirt. Clerk: "(fluster, fluster) Ah, will that be paper or plastic?" Me: "I don't care. I'm bisacksual." (Clerk runs away)