Island Countertop Overhang Problem

Page 2 of 2
When I did my kitchen over, I questioned whether to put an 8" or 12" overhang on my peninsula. I went with 12" and I'm glad I did. Unfortunately in your case your going to have to bite the bullet and ante up for a new slab of granite. Do not do a patch job like you described, it will not look nice. Theres a right way to do things and a wrong way. When you put in a new piece of granite, you'll forget about the $900 and enjoy the kitchen.
Or you can live with the 9" overhang.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree. In the grand scheme of things, $900 to fix a mistake right seems like a reasonable solution. And IMO, it's not worth hacking around with something that is obvious and affects the re-sale value of the house.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh, good grief. A free post would have saved the OP bigtime. Without getting too long and risking cracking, overhangs should be as big as possible. Both for the comfort of people sitting there in the future, but also for stool storage, and a dozen other reasons I can't think of right now. And at the time of initial construction, cheap, cheap, cheap, even if you want one that will require a 4x4 cantilever.
Yup, either bite the bullet or live with it. And learn from it, which I don't need to say............
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 8, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Can you re-use the old slab in a bathroom or basement countertop project? Then the $900 wont hurt so much.
Add pictures here
✖

Can you re-use the old slab in a bathroom or basement countertop project? Then the $900 wont hurt so much.
--
you can sell the slab on craigslist

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

W/O seeing the actual piece, it's hard to know for certain, but I'd certainly think either a contrasting piece or matching worked in (and not necessarily at the back but in the middle, even, w/ a good job of seaming would/could be made to be a feature rather than a flaw.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't think you can make the seam in the middle. If you did then you need a support for the 12" overhang . If you get a new piece, it will span the entire 24" of counter, then overhang 12", so you don't need any support legs.
Add pictures here
✖
Mikepier wrote: ...

I don't know that that is _necessarily_ so. OP doesn't say how wide the overall piece is, only that he has only a 9" overhang.
There are several options for fastening the piece down other than its own weight...
✖

Not good, you would be installing a skinny 4 inch x 63 inch piece with little under-support other than the cabinet walls. You would have to work in the epoxy over the whole length and the seem would be in the most obvious place, full width directly on top of an island. I dont even think any granite company would do this if you asked them to. But they might agree to cut up the old slab for you to reuse somewhere else.
Add pictures here
✖
RickH wrote: ...

I've seen very similar things done where it was done purposefully for the accent. Once it's seamed, it's not an independent piece any longer.

Of course...
Add pictures here
✖
Would you consider making the 4-inch strip a contrasting colour or even a different material so it looks like a design feature?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't want 12" or 13" - or even 9" - of granite hanging out in space unless it is resting on something. Especially at $900 per pop.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Why not? Its perfectly fine provided that you span 24" of counter before hanging over 12", and provided the granite is 1 1/4" thick. Almost every granite place I called while doing my kitchen said the same thing.
Add pictures here
✖

Why not? Its perfectly fine provided that you span 24" of counter before hanging over 12", and provided the granite is 1 1/4" thick. Almost every granite place I called while doing my kitchen said the same thing.
--
the OP didn\'t state what thickness he has, but in my area, 3/4" granite is
much more common. the edge is doubled to give the impression it\'s 1.5" thick

The stone is 1-1/4" thick, and it is Quartz, not Granite. So, it is ground up stone, bound with epoxy. I'd imagine that this would be much less prone to breaking then Granite, as there are no natural variations/cleavages/fault lines in the stone. Is that a fair assumption?
Add pictures here
✖
Mikepier wrote:

Rock has fractures, cleavage planes, etc. IOW, rock breaks (can break). Even 1 1/4 granite, supported area doesn't provide any support for that hanging out. Will it break? Probably not. Can it break? Absolutely.
--

dadiOH

The granite suppliers I recently talked to about a project said up to 12" unsupported overhang was OK with std granite, ie 1 1/2"
Add pictures here
✖