Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?

Page 2 of 3
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

They lick a lot.
TDD
LouB wrote:

Cats can count. If you ever see a momma cat count her babies, you'll know.
But you raise an interesting question:: can a cat count up to 30,000?
Nate Nagel wrote:

Any drug store - it is used medicinally.
Nate Nagel wrote:

try the detergent aisle at the grocery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

The other response suggesting to poison them with poisoned bait makes sense to me.
In addition, I would not have any unsealed food or crumbs in that breadbox.
Beyond that, I suspect a plastic item made of polyethylene (one variety of which has recycling symbol of 2 in that triangle of 3 curved arrows), smeared with mineral oil, will probably be unclimbable by insects. Maybe put that on some sort of lid or tray to hold any oil running down.
Maybe better still, put the breadbox on something in a tray that has mineral oil maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch deep. I doubt insects can walk over or swim though that.
But back to earlier - I would avoid having anything yummy-smelling in any way where ants can smell the odor if they come around to explore for food.
========================================== Possible trap for insects and other similarly small critters, known to work for slugs:
A small tray or deepish lid filled with beer or wine. Critters come in for a drink, and drink themselves to death. Sometimes they decide to take a swim in it, and alcohol is absorbed through their skins to an extent that kills them in a few minutes. Beware - the alcohol may evaporate enough to make the brew non-lethal in a day or so or less, though a few critters (especially slugs) will swim into beer a couple to a few days old and not come out alive.

We've been keeping ants away with Hot Shot Liquid Ant Bait. You want to get them to take poison back to nest to kill colony otherwise if you keep them away from one food item they'll be foraging around for others. Also a good idea to treat house foundation outside.
Nate Nagel wrote:

I would check the nearest door and windows, and foundation cracks. Seems this is nest-building time, and food on a countertop definitely draws ants. An air-tight container for bread would help. Easiest fix is to use a few drops of boric acid ant bait near the bread container. In Florida, most people I know keep bread and cakes in the fridge because ants are persistent year-around. Just treated a column of ants in our atrium, as they were marching in the direction of my kitchen :o) Most hardware stores have liquid ant bait, like Terro, which has always worked well for me.
I've had the best luck for getting rid of *all* insects with sticky insect traps, fly strips, sticky mouse traps, etc.
I'll put the sticky fly strips down low in corners and they catch all sorts of crawling insectsm spiders, etc. Up high and flying insects, especially near outside lights.
The best time is right now - Spring. Place them all around the house inside and out, up and down. Then the insects you catch will not be able to reproduce, thus exponentially fewer insects around in the summer/fall.
The only problem with these is the wind can blow them against your outside walls, then the sticky stuff will get all over the wall and it is hard to get off. They dry out soon if in the direct sun. And don't put any low if you have curious dogs or you will be pulling sticky stuff of their mouth!
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

You could hang it from the ceiling on greased monofilament.

"Clean" is a relative term.

Insects are like water leaks; where you see them is not necessarily where they're coming from (or going).
Ants are not the dominant species on this planet for nothing.
Generally, by the time a homeowner sees ants, they've been around for some time, and perhaps a colony has grown so large relative to the available food supply (or is experiencing other "stress") that the colony "splits".
As a former PCO treating for ants I would use (1) Talstar, or (2) Tempo (WP or SC), and maybe Delta Dust, all available to homeowners without license.
(In the late '90s) I would shoot your kitchen for about $60, w/o warranty, or your entire structure (or whatever part of the structure is yours) for about $240 with a 6 month re-treat warranty that you won't see ants anywhere inside 30 days after treatment.
Often if not usually there is access to squirt under cabinets above the kick plate.
Just because you don't see ants is no evidence they are not where you can't see them, which is why I am not a disciple of "baiting". -----
- gpsman
Have heard sugar plus borax! Ants take it back to nest and it poisons them..
stan wrote:

with sugar, water and borax.
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:24:44 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

That all assumes you have ants that eat sugar. I haven't seen a sugar ant around here in 20 years. The first dose of Terro (and Amdro) killed all of them but they were quickly replaced by ants that ate various proteins. Florida may be a worst case place for ants (12 month season) but I have been fighting them for 25 years. I have certainly thinned them out and made them very picky eaters but I have never really got rid of them. It is amazing how quickly they figure out how to get around a perimeter scheme. I thought I had them whipped with a regulated spray (applied by a pro). Then they were back. I found one twig from a tree leaning against the house and it was like an ant interstate highway. Ants are tough. You know that after a hurricane and you see 100,000 fire ants forming a big raft and floating on the flood water.
I'd suggest a big tray of Clorox bleach, they are unlikely to be able to traverse that.
If you would like some advice on killing ants and ant colonies, I'd be happy to share what worked for me. But, you didn't ask.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Spray any nearby window/trim crevaces with Raid ant and roach spray, it works great for me every spring. I see the ants in early spring, after spraying I see numerous dead ants for a couple days, then no more ants at all. The ants like to walk crevaces near trim so hit crevace between cabinets and wall too or any passages within cabinets. Also do outside house perimeter.

I have used those little square flat poison things. The ants think it's food, and take it back to the hive. They are cheap and for me they worked. All enclosed, safe.
I've successfully stopped ants from coming into my kitchen by making an unbroken line of liquid dish soap around the perimeter. Dish soap is cheap, alkaline/basic, and ants are acidic. Drop a bit on an ant sometime, it'll kill 'em dead. Bonus is that it also cleans up whatever the scent trail is that they've left behind Apologies for my highly scientific language there, heh.

Matt Dunphy wrote:

You might be drowning beneficial critters, like earthworms. Not that it matters :o) U of Florida has a test for mole crickets (ugly!) by pouring a couple of gallons of soapy solution on a small area of sod. The mole crickets are supposed to surface because they are drowning and struggling for air. Well, lots of other things surface, too. The things you discover doing lawn care for a condo! :o)
A few drops of Terro take care of my ants for the year and don't kill anything else....there are lots of critters that are pests only when they come indoors. I don't like killing more than I must. Ants help pollinate stuff.

I don't use much soap. It's literally a line of dishsoap along the perimeter of my tiled kitchen floor. Nothing's going to drown.

An old RVer trick is to sprinkle Comet or Ajax cleanser (or whatever brand you have) around the trailer jack and/or wheels. Supposedly the ants won't cross it. I've had mixed results but a light dusting might at least reduce the ant problem and it's likely you already have some cleanser on hand. I've also had good results by spraying Black Flag or Raid along the baseboards and counters etc but I always remove the dog food and water first and never spray near where the dogs eat. The bug spray seems to be good for about two weeks or so.

You can create a moderately effective barrier with some Windex.
However, chances are the ants will only redeploy to other sources of food and/or water.
Watch them, find a trail and put down some bait in order to destroy their nest.