Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?

Page 1 of 3
Am starting to have problems with ants in my kitchen, they seem to be specifically going after the breadbox which sits on the counter. Don't see them anywhere else in the house. Is there something that I could set it on that they wouldn't be able to crawl up to get into the breadbox? Kitchen is pretty clean, having just cleaned up after doing some work in there. Cleaning up any currently uncleaned areas would involve pulling the bottoms out of cabinets etc. Can't see where they're coming from, although I thought I saw one crawl out from inside a corner cabinet with a lazy susan in it (great. I'm sure that'll be fun to take apart.) No food is stored in that cabinet though so that makes no sense.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My advice, teach them to stop eating bread. Make a bait with about 1 part boric acid and 12 parts bread crumbs. You might not kill the whole colony as the legend implies but you can make them stop eating bread. I have taught my ants to stop eating just about everything in my house. Sugar was a slam dunk, Terro does that. Then I worked my way through the proteins, dog food, bacon grease chicken fat etc You will think you killed them all when they take the bait, but they will be back, just a lot more selective in what they eat. They still walk around here occasionally but I never see them swarming on anything I have baited them with.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

True story: I saw some little ants. Bought Terro. Put the UNOPENED package on the counter. Ants disappeared and have not come back!!
Lou
LouB wrote:

They musta' heard about it on the internet - crawling on yer' network cable, perhaps? :o)

LOL
Lou
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm glad (or hopeful) you aren't teaching school. Terro killed the sugar-eating ants. The quit eating your bread with boric acid because they don't eat boric acid dry...a little Terro mixed with fatty food will kill them because they take it back to the nest....they aren't running to the neighbor's for an order of salami without Terro :o)
If you leave chocolate cake on the counter, make sure none of the "crumbs" are moving :o)

What is Terro?
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:58:06 -0700, "Ulysses"
Boric acid and sugar
Ulysses wrote:

Small bottle (brand name) of sugar/boric acid solution available at lots of hardware stores. Same formulation available under other names. Works great, inexpensive,very little needed and doesn't kill off good critters.
If you have "grease ants", which apparently aren't attracted by the sugar, you can put some onto fatty food (corn muffins, cake, etc.) and the ants will take it up.
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:38:08 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I have never had them eating bread, that is the OP. I did teach them not to eat Krispy Creams by mixing boric acid with some doughnut material. You are right, you do need to make a paste out of the boric acid. If it was bread I would crumble up some bread, water and boric acid, then let it dry. I usually put my bait in a bottle cap. The last round was pork fat. I still have a couple caps sitting around but they are not eating pork fat anymore. Three weeks ago the dog food bowl was crawling with them because I put a little pork loin scrap in his Purina. It took 2 days to stop that crap. I am not really seeing any ants now but I know they will be back.

When you can teach them to play basketball, then you can start crowing.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I like your idea, but where does one find boric acid? The Orange Colored Store has no idea it exists. the Real Hardware Stores close at 6. Is this something that can be mail-ordered?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

you asked the wrong idiot. they have it. it's called roach powder. you have to read the label.

Drugstores like Walgreens.
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Hmm, don't have one real convenient to me, will have to try CVS though. (there IS one near the Orange Colored Store, but you'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back there today. It's across the street from a post office, and I forgot that today was tax day... Charlie Foxtrot doesn't even begin to describe the madness that was Lee Highway.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Follow up:
I started off by buying some fresh "ant baits" from the Orange Colored Store, in the absence of any boric acid. Set breadbox on three upended rocks glasses to make it a little harder for ants to get in. Ant population noticeably decreased (and they stayed out of the breadbox) but every time I looked there were still 2-3 on the counter at any given time, looking around for something to eat. Had to hit 3-4 drug stores before I found one selling boric acid but finally got some. Mixed up some cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and boric acid into a bottle cap and set it on the counter. 2 days later ants were 100% gone and I haven't seen them back since. thanks guys, this is why I post.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

If the ants dropped a few crumbs of boric acid, it might help keep roaches out. Or perhaps they shared :o) Our $500 roach treatment was peanut butter and probably boric acid.

Cats kill roaches (they can see them in the dark).
But getting a cat to deal with the roaches sometimes substitutes a roach problem for a flea problem.
But cats can do things other than catch roaches. For instance, they can, er... sleep. But they do that VERY well. You'll be proud.
Of course there was Towser, who, in her career as mouser-in-chief of the Glenturret distillery (makers of "Famous Grouse" - yum), caught 28,899 mice during her 23-year employment.
HeyBub wrote:

What a cat! Could catch mice and count to a very high number.

Come to think of it... the correct answer to the original question is probably ant-eaters. Anyone know what they're like as pets?