Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Page 4 of 4
Danny D. wrote:

Freeze the meat and use your joiner like a huge microtome :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I use my Hobart. I have used the $150 slicers and they are surprisingly ok. You might just consider slicing as thin as you can with a knife, and then julienning. If they don't like it, maybe they will leave your home sooner.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:35:28 -0700, "taxed and spent"

What gets me is the Verizon commercial where the snotty kids don't want to visit gramma because there's nothing to do, and the enabling parents teach their kids to be snotty by telling them they only have to stay for a little while.
In the commercial the gramma gets FIOS so the kids can ignore her when they visit. It's good that Verizon promotes family values.

An electric carving knife may do what you want. (It lets us slice smoked salmon as thinly as the texture of the flesh allows. It cost $10 used at a pawnbroker's.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 4/22/2015 7:53 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

Whoa, a person's got to be hard-up to pawn an electric knife.
If you paid $10 the seller must have gotten about $3 for it.

Or he just doesn't use it. I only use mine to cut foam rubber.

"micky" wrote in message

It works for that? Cool! I need to go cut out some giant foam fingers!
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:59:32 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"

It works great, and if you've ever tried to use a regular knife, you know how poorly that works.
But I'm not that clever. I saw what they used at a fabric store to cut foam rubber. It's just an electric knife with a plate to keep it vertical.
(I do occasionally make rib roasts, but I use a regular big knife to carve them.)
On 4/22/2015 6:59 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

If you'd ever been inside an auto upholstery and trim shop you'd have known that, Mr. Know-it-all.
On 4/22/2015 6:34 PM, micky wrote:

A pawn shop gives 25% of the value, that was a desperation move.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Even the market slicers don't work as well (cut as thin) as the industrial equipment they use to produce the pre-sliced - well, shredded - packaged lunch meats.
But you will notice those do not comprise perfect, uniform slices, either, they are shreds.
And you can do roughly the same shredding work with a sharp, high-quality kitchen knife (and a cutting board underneath so you don't dull it in the first five seconds), just learn how to use it, and understand what the end product is supposed to look like.
And watch your thumb.
And a ninety-nine cents cheese slicer will do as well as a fancy machine, as far as the cheese goes.
If you want perfect slices for a sandwich, well, good technique with a sharp knife *should* do about as well as the market slicer, just a lot more slowly, and maybe a 50% error rate, so be ready to eat the failures.
J.
On 4/21/2015 10:33 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Slice it in half so there's a flat side to stabilize it. Slice with a ceramic knife.
But, what are you trying to accomplish? If it's thin meat, that's all I got. If it'd feeding the kids, why do they care if it's a little thicker? Put it in a blender and spread it as thinly as you like.
On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 11:34:40 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

Danny is retired and rich and lives in a mansion on a hillside in California. He can well afford a Hobart slicer but he is a cheapskate and wants to use some tool from his workshop to slice meat but doesn't consider the contamination factor or the friggin mess that he would make with power tools or even hand tools. Probably the closest thing that might work would be a power coping saw with a fine blade. Even then he would have waste, contamination and mess to consider. A good man with a sharp knife would be his best bet OR a good wife PERIOD...end of rant.
Danny D. posted for all of us...

Ask Costco to slice it for you they can make any thickness you want.
Cabela's has them. Watch your fingers...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*