Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

As I said, you have to read them. Some can be tossed out. People downgrade reviews for the dumbest things, like it was not the color they expected or the Ford bumper does not fit my Chevy. I also toss the five stars that say "I got it and it worked great for the five minutes I've used it so far" while the negative reviews state they are bad when the problems showed after repeated use.

The other consideration is common sense. A sub $100 slicer is not going to perform the same as a $3500 real deli slicer, nor would I expect it too. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And toss the 5-star reviews that say "It looks so good on my countertop." Ideally, you want some reviews with long time use. Unless they specifically say how they operated it, I will discount motor failures too. I don't know how the reviewer handled it. Some people are stupid enough to put it in the dishwasher. Some people might try trimming woodwork with it, or constantly force it beyond its capacity. Or it might be a genuine mfr defect. That happens with the best of them. But when more than 300 people are pleased, it's a good bet. I'm kind of surprised that many people have meat slicers. The thought of buying one never entered my mind, until now. Nah.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I bought one. I'm getting old and can't handle a knife well any more. This unit has worked well. It takes up a lot of space, so we keep it down the basement and only bring it up when we need to use it, which is not that frequently.

My problem is that if you are careful when using it, it is safe. But if your mate lacks sense of how to act safely around machinery, you don't want to have one of these around. I was slicing some ham, and my wife was catching the slices (I don't know why, I would just have let them fall onto a plate). A small piece fell off and was jammed near the blade. She reached in to remove it, without turning the machine off. She didn't cut herself, but she sure tried. I finished the slicing and we cleaned up the machine, which is not hard. Then I told her this was dangerous and I didn't want it to be used unless we were both present so I could pick up her fingers and stop the bleeding. The next day she sliced a roast when I wasn't there. I put it into storage and told her not to use it again.

Reply to
No name

That brings to mind recipe reviews such as "That looks great, five stars, I'm making it next week." or "It sucked, I changed this this and this and it came out awful, one star."

Reply to
Nunya Bidnits

I have a suggestion that might help:

Of course you're going to have to get on her to wear it, but...

Reply to
W. Lohman

The typical KCQ BBQ judges sheet?

Reply to
W. Lohman

I'd buy a slicer if I owned a deli, then speed would be an issue. For the amount of deli slicing one does in the typical home kitchen a nicely honed carbon steel blade is very sufficient, takes little storage space and cleans up in less time than the cutting board.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

They work great I am a bit clumsy with some equipment so I use one too.

Reply to
Ophelia

What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy! If I wanted a slicer:

Brooklyn1

That's good to know, safety first is sound policy.

Reply to
W. Lohman

Yet we have reviews that it works just fine.

Not everyone is willing to buy a commercial deli slicer though.

Reply to
W. Lohman

Mine is pretty much like the Nesco one. It works just fine for us. We are not a commercial kitchen

Reply to
Ophelia

I said *IF* I wanted a slicer, I do not. You claim to know your way around a kitchen, use a chefs knife... how many slices do you need to make in a week that you need a machine, and that's a child's machine. A slicing machine isn't any good for slicing *hot* roasts anyway, tears them to shreds... every restaurant/deli slices hot meat by hand... a slicing machine only works well with cold meats.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Danny D. posted for all of us...

Ask Costco to slice it for you they can make any thickness you want.

Cabela's has them. Watch your fingers...

Reply to
Tekkie®