Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Page 2 of 4

I throw out those bad reviews when the overwhelming majority are positive. If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when I was building this computer over 5 years ago. Quality motherboard (ASUS) and power supply (Corsair). I thought I would find 4-5 star reviews. Plenty of reviews on Newegg, but enough whiners to bring every MB and PS down to 3 1/2 stars or less. When I realized that applied to them all, 3 1/2 became my new minimum standard. It's still running with no issues. Maybe dissatisfied customers are more prone to write reviews. With computers many people don't know how to put them together, and with meat slicers many can't operate them correctly. Of course some parts are legitimately DOA - I've had it happen to me - and maybe those motors failed. There's always some element of luck.
On 04/22/2015 11:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Sometimes the good reviews don't work out in the long run. I bought an Antec Sonata case with an Antec power supply. It was very well rated and is in fact an excellent case, very easy to assemble and none of the razor sharp edges that leave you bloody when working with cheap cases.
When the power supply failed in a couple of years, a little research showed that particular model had problems and the failure was very typical. Unfortunately the reviews weren't prescient enough to predict failure years down the road. Shit happens.
I'd still recommend Antec. The cases are excellent as are their power supplies most of the time.
Quantity counts too. 374 reviews averaging out to 4 stars beats 3 five star reviews in my book. That theory doesn't always work when you're looking at new or high end products that aren't mainstream.
On 4/23/2015 1:40 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

As I said, you have to read them. Some can be tossed out. People downgrade reviews for the dumbest things, like it was not the color they expected or the Ford bumper does not fit my Chevy. I also toss the five stars that say "I got it and it worked great for the five minutes I've used it so far" while the negative reviews state they are bad when the problems showed after repeated use.
The other consideration is common sense. A sub $100 slicer is not going to perform the same as a $3500 real deli slicer, nor would I expect it too. .

And toss the 5-star reviews that say "It looks so good on my countertop." Ideally, you want some reviews with long time use. Unless they specifically say how they operated it, I will discount motor failures too. I don't know how the reviewer handled it. Some people are stupid enough to put it in the dishwasher. Some people might try trimming woodwork with it, or constantly force it beyond its capacity. Or it might be a genuine mfr defect. That happens with the best of them. But when more than 300 people are pleased, it's a good bet. I'm kind of surprised that many people have meat slicers. The thought of buying one never entered my mind, until now. Nah.
"Vic Smith" wrote in message

That brings to mind recipe reviews such as "That looks great, five stars, I'm making it next week." or "It sucked, I changed this this and this and it came out awful, one star."
On 4/23/2015 3:16 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

The typical KCQ BBQ judges sheet?
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:45:31 -0500, Vic Smith

I'd buy a slicer if I owned a deli, then speed would be an issue. For the amount of deli slicing one does in the typical home kitchen a nicely honed carbon steel blade is very sufficient, takes little storage space and cleans up in less time than the cutting board.
On 4/22/2015 3:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)29739862&sr=1-6&keywords=meat+slicer
W. Lohman wrote:

This unit has worked well. It takes up a lot of space, so we keep it down the basement and only bring it up when we need to use it, which is not that frequently.
My problem is that if you are careful when using it, it is safe. But if your mate lacks sense of how to act safely around machinery, you don't want to have one of these around. I was slicing some ham, and my wife was catching the slices (I don't know why, I would just have let them fall onto a plate). A small piece fell off and was jammed near the blade. She reached in to remove it, without turning the machine off. She didn't cut herself, but she sure tried. I finished the slicing and we cleaned up the machine, which is not hard. Then I told her this was dangerous and I didn't want it to be used unless we were both present so I could pick up her fingers and stop the bleeding. The next day she sliced a roast when I wasn't there. I put it into storage and told her not to use it again.
On 4/23/2015 2:47 PM, No name wrote:

I have a suggestion that might help:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Of course you're going to have to get on her to wear it, but...

They work great <g> I am a bit clumsy with some equipment so I use one too.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

On 4/23/2015 3:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:

That's good to know, safety first is sound policy.

What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy! If I wanted a slicer: http://www.globeequipment.com/Commercial-Kitchen-Equipment/Prep-Equipment/Slicers
On 4/23/2015 3:53 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Yet we have reviews that it works just fine.

Not everyone is willing to buy a commercial deli slicer though.

Mine is pretty much like the Nesco one. It works just fine for us. We are not a commercial kitchen
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:12:44 +0100, "Ophelia"

I said *IF* I wanted a slicer, I do not. You claim to know your way around a kitchen, use a chefs knife... how many slices do you need to make in a week that you need a machine, and that's a child's machine. A slicing machine isn't any good for slicing *hot* roasts anyway, tears them to shreds... every restaurant/deli slices hot meat by hand... a slicing machine only works well with cold meats.
On 4/22/2015 12:39 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

Dolt.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/meat-band-saw

I am in UK and this is very similar to the one I have
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-Kitchen-Electric-Slicer?gclid=CMKTmN-oicUCFZQZtAodgx8AiQ&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL !49!3!66287729669!!!g!42886767144!&ef_id=VTdEKwAAAA-1XWf4:20150422064811:s
I am sure you could get something similar.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:49:24 +0100, "Ophelia"

I'd not want to clean that thing just to slice one tiny roast I can slice by hand in under five minutes.
"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

Yeah, that's the thing when people buy equipment that exceeds their skills or needs, they find out they have a lot more stuff to clean up and the equipment ends up sitting in a cabinet. I wouldn't get out an electric slicer unless I was doing turkey and brisket for a buffet line. I don't thin slice brisket anyway, mine is so tender you can slice it the thickness of a pencil and it will be moist and very tender. We bought an electric for the barbecue team but it rarely gets used, nobody wants to do the cleanup, but at least we do have jobs big enough for it once in a while. I'm not a big fan of electric knives and their sawing motion either. I can make much better looking cuts with a thin sharp slicing knife.
This is my favorite slicing knife, very thin, which can be easily maintained with a razor edge: http://www.fishboneknives.com/s140-12-dexter-russell-12-inch-duo-edge-slicer-with-sanisafe-handle/