Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Page 1 of 4
At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/17205106946_cdbf58106a_c.jpg
I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids to make sandwiches.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/17044881309_c364c263f4_c.jpg
But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably too expensive to be worthwhile)?
Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home? What tool do you use?
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:34:40 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.
Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:

Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get (even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel tool, or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).
I should note that I googled the deli-style slicers, which run the gamut in cost from about just over a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars. http://tinyurl.com/pm84rwo
With that kind of price range, there are going to be a *lot* of decisions and tradeoffs that have to be made at the lower end.
If I simply by a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but, to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have actual experience in the lower end models.
Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor power, etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.
Only someone who is either happy or unhappy with the inexpensive slicers will be able to advise me which way to go, or not to go, I would think.
Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if its any good: (Amazon.com product link shortened) (Amazon.com product link shortened)
But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular saw?
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:43:54 +0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

If you just want ham slices, use a knife.
But if you want serious feedback which you won't get here on Usenet RFC, try the Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/
I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.
-sw
On 4/22/2015 2:08 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

No one cares, dwarf.
Sqwertz wrote:

Bullshit, they're the know nothings who couldn't make it here who were too embarrased to demonstrate their ineptitude.

Which proves you have no business in a kitchen.
Why? They're expensive, very expensive for a true commercial machine (well over a grand), take up a lot of space, very heavy to move, and a bitch to clean... plus for anyone who is a klutz with a knife who can't slice bologna by hand it would be far too dangerous to be using a motorized meat slicer... many deli clerks are missing finger tips. But there are simple tricks for slicing deli at home; a sharp knife is essential, much safer/controlable than a dull knife... and for home slicing, fancy not being too important, first slice the hunk of bologna in half longitudinally, creating a flat for steadiness helps a lot plus slicing through less depth makes it far easier to control thickness... can do the same with a canned ham or roast beef, start by slicing in half to create a flat and shorten the slicing depth by half... who gives a ratz b-hind if you build a sandwich with half slices of salami... you'll not see or taste any difference... and eventually you'll gain skill so won't require the training wheels technique, you'll be able to slice full sized thin, even slices of even 8" diameter mortadela. Personally I have no use or need for a slicing machine at home, in fact I wouldn't want one for free... they are a BITCH to clean. Also, when one cooks a large roast beef for entertaining nine times out of ten the butcher at the store where you purchased it will have it machine sliced for free... always a good idea to introduce oneself to the store's meat department staff... custom ordering larger roasts than one typically finds in the display ensures better quality cuts, and not something that was cut and wrapped the day before. None of yoose douchebags need a slicing machine, yoose ALL need a decent sized electric meat grinder. Yesterday morning I bought a gorgeous ten pound top round roast, soon as I got home I sliced it into two 5 lb roasts, froze one and ground the other, great 12 oz burgers for dinner, on kaiser rolls... got four more 12 oz burgers in the freezer.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:10:55 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

You are the master of prattle. Go Shelly!
-sw
"Sqwertz" wrote in message

I'm familiar with the sentiment, which I have modified to include I've always wanted a servant to clean the goddam thing after use.
On 4/22/2015 2:03 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

A cheapass greaseball like you would never pay a servant their worth.
Sqwertz wrote:

You would be better suited to buy a commercial hot pepper slicer. ;)
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:38:11 -0400, Gary wrote:

<yawn> -sw

Since that is Amazon, I would pay heed to the reviews there. I don't have a slicer. I don't have room to store one.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:58:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"

Those are not professional quality slicers, they don't even qualify for newbie status... those are Toy's R Us slicers.
On 4/22/2015 2:43 AM, Danny D. wrote:

There are enough bad review on them that I'd pass. I'd be willing to spend more if it really worked.
Rather than buy processed luncheon meats, why not roast a real hunk of beef and slice it, or a real turkey breast? That is what I'd do if I had one. I really don't have the space for it for the little use we'd give it.
"Danny D." wrote in message

Sawzall? Dremel? Trollsaw? Come on, man! lol
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:39:36 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"

Exactly. What about hooking the meat slicer up to the gasoline powerwasher or weed-whacker? He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of serious use.

What, is he opening a deli?
On 4/22/2015 5:24 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Some failed after 3 uses, 10 uses. Not a deli, but I'd expect much more than 1- uses.