is there a trick to getting nails out?

I am taking out a wall in my house and there are several 2x4's I need to remove. They have big nails driven deeply into them. I tried using a wood chisel to make some space around the heads so I could pull them out but it seems there must be a trick?
Thanks,
Jeff
Most of us would use a sawsall to cut the nails at the base and then worry about removing them later. If you really want to pull them I've used a hammer to drive the head of a crowbar deep behind the nail. No trick just force.
HotRod wrote:

"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer." <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

wood
Cats paw is what I use.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Put the 90 end near the nail and tap it with a hammer. Forcing the tool around the nail head. Then pry..
SQLit wrote: ....

What does the cat think of that? :)

Was wondering when someone would suggest that!
Duane: I've never had one complain to me.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Doug Boulter wrote:

At least not after I hit it with the hammer.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

That's precisely when mine <does> complain...
SQLit wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Hi, I use wonder bar. Same kind tool, I think. Tony

Nope, cat's paw is different,
Either way, if he's removing 8D toenailed it might be difficult to get the paw in....
Tony Hwang wrote:

I use a mini wonder bar also but modified it some. Sharpened the sloped side so the ends (both ends) are sharp and can be driven under the nail. Once I get it that far the nail either gives or I switch to the big wonderbar that will now go under the nail.
Harry K

Don't bother. Use a reciprocating sawzall and just cut the nails instead. Just get the right blade. Then if you want to re-use the lumber you can drive it out from the cut side.

A great tool for this, if you don't want to use a Sawzall, is a Crescent Suregrip No. 56 Nail Puller - look it up on Google for a picture. Most well-stocked hardware retailers have them, but call first. They are a prybar/plier combo, which has an impact sleeve on it that embeds the jaws of the tool around the sunken nail head, and the long lever gives enormous mech. advantage for strong pulling. Side benefit is you can reuse the 2x4's. I use mine all the time, for, e.g., removing deck boards without all the sawdust, noise, and mess of multiple sawcuts.
A great tool for this, if you don't want to use a Sawzall, is a Crescent

Eh, I find older nails in older wood don't want to come out with that sort of tool.

Yeah, they're handy but they're pretty much a single-purpose tool. Most folks would be better off having a tool they can use for multiple purposes. Like a sawzall, a shop-vac and various drywall repairing tools for when the "Destroyzall" goes wild... <grin>
Thanks everyone for the advice. I would really like to have a saws-all someday, but I would probably hurt myself with it. I found a cat's-paw like bar for $16 at Lowes and it works great, I am on my way.
thanks,
Jeff