is there a noise canceling headphone, not music.

Page 2 of 2

This link <http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm goes to a motorcycle magazine. They review all sorts of stuff. They reviewed earplugs and noise canceling earbuds at the link. Wind noise is a big deal on a motorcycle.

On 03/07/2016 03:53 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Thank you!

headphones do a very good job of cancelling that kind of noise with no sound input (like music)
On 3/6/2016 11:42 PM, T wrote:

We use these. Very good, not terribly expensive and if you don't like them, the owner of the company is very responsive.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)57356115&sr=8-1&keywords=clear+armor+34db
Per T:

I would think that music head phones would do the job if they were worn with no input.
People will say "Ear Plugs" or "Ear Muffs".... My experience is that neither is comfortable enough for long-term repeated use. YMMV....
But there are some quite-comfortable over-the-ear earphones... and they do not need to be noise canceling, just "Closed" (as opposed to "Open", which let in external sounds).
I have a set of "Open" earphones that are so comfortable that sometimes I find myself walking around the house with them on long after I have finished using them - just because I have forgotten that I had them on.
All that being said, the first thing I would try are the el-cheapo earmuffs from Harbor Freight for three bucks: http://www.harborfreight.com/industrial-ear-muffs-43768.html
And if those do not work, I would move up a notch in price and try these for eight bucks: http://www.harborfreight.com/ear-muffs-94334.html
Only after rejecting those, would I start looking at over-the-ear closed headphones.
--
Pete Cresswell

plane they get rid of almost all the backround noise, yet allow someone to talk to you with no problem.. (and that's not using them as headphones - just as noise stoppers)
On 3/6/2016 11:42 PM, T wrote:

designed for the shooting sports that are adjustable to allow normal conversation but block out louder noises and can be tuned to completely block all sounds.

FWIW I've found they lessen the sound of normal conversation just as much.
And when I'd drive the car with the top down over 65mph, the wind noise was annoying, so I'd use the foam plugs, bu tthen I coudln't hear the radio. and I'd have to turn it up until it was blaring away. When I pulled up to a toll booth, I wonder what the toll taker thought of me. Plus I learned it was illegal to drive with earplugs. Now I just stay under 65 and the noise is much less.

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 12:42:50 AM UTC-5, T wrote:

Bose makes noise cancelling headphones. With no music input, they would just cancel the external noise. I've used them on airplanes when they hand them out. As soon as you put them on the airplane noise, anyone talking, etc, is greatly reduced. But they aren't cheap. Pilots also use them and there may be other brands, but that's what they are called, noise cancelling.
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 9:14:47 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

For some strange reason, I would not be comfortable knowing that my pilot is wearing anything that cancels "external noise".
I want him listening for every little noise and every comment from the other members of his crew, radio connected or not.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 07:39:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

speach and "sound anomolies" through. What they do is listen to the backround noise and generate a "counter-wave" - sound of inverse amplitude - to cancel it out. Unpredictable sound, like speach, does not get cancelled. I'd much rather have the pilot, or be the pilot - wearing ANC headset than not because the small amplitude "sound anomolies" don't get drowned out by the backround noise. The pilot can actually hear much better with the ANC on.
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 9:14:47 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

For some strange reason, I would not be comfortable knowing that my pilot is wearing anything that cancels "external noise".
I want him listening for every little noise and every comment from the other members of his crew, radio connected or not.
Per T:

Also - and perhaps the best solution - you can order "Custom Molded Earplugs" for about ten bucks. Looks to me like basically a tube goop that you work into each ear and let firm up to form the "Custom-Molded" earplugs.
With earphones added, that's what the professional rock musicians use to avoid going any more nerve deaf than they already are.
--
Pete Cresswell