Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

Page 3 of 4

aspasia wrote:

Then what make and model are yours? That was the question.
Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Dec 2006 08:16:42p, Matt meant to say...

I clean mine as noted in an earlier post, however, I've never really noticed it "stinking" and do the cleaning just as a matter of course. In have a continuous-feed In-Sink-Erator.
--
Wayne Boatwright
If your wife is like mine, she thinks that a garbage disposal is like a trash can. You wait until it is full, then empty it.
Steve B wrote:

and does. Good grief. If I just put stuff in there, it wouldn't take long for the sink to back up when I was running water to do anything else. Does she not use the sink for anything else between running the disposal....? She doesn't notice the problem here..?

My wife is fastidious, and even obsessive compulsive disorder on some things. But I could put a dead skunk in the trash compactor, compact it, and leave it there, and I doubt she'd notice it. Well, maybe she's not that bad, but there have been MANY times when I say, "Do you smell something bad?", and she says, "Not really." I don't know if "Not really" means yes, I smell it, but it isn't that bad, or I don't smell anything.
Now, I just automatically turn on the water and hit the switch whenever I'm close to it.
Steve
PS: She also thinks that the compactor MUST BE FULL in order to empty. I am working on that by putting chicken skins and salmon skins in there.
hehehe
Steve
Jen wrote:

Do you toss the animal bits int here as well? No matter how much leaf mulch I have in the pile, animal remains stink and draw critters. We only throw plant matter (fruits, veggies, some grains) and very little fat. You are 100% about the soil inmprovement. It's amazing.
maxine in ri

No I usually chuck that in the bin.
Jen
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:09:15 GMT, Matt wrote:

The only time my disposal stinks is when shit collects under the rubber gasket at the entrance to the disposal. That easily pops out easily, and after being washed/rinsed briefly, no more stink.
If you think about it, "stuff" flys up and hut the underside of that thing, and never really gets rinsed off. Hence the smell.
-sw
Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Dec 2006 03:09:15p, Matt meant to say...

They all need cleaning periodically.
Fill the sink to capacity, and whill it's filling dump in a small box of baking soda.
Leave the water running, turn on the disposer, then pull the drain plug.
At least one manufacturer recommends this method, and I've found that it really works.
If the "rubber finger" flange in the opening is removable, remove it and give it a good scrubbing underneath.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Hi Matt,
Just asking here. Did you have to replace any drain piping when you installed your new garbage disposer? If you did, please explain...thanks...jimi
Jimi wrote:

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the one replaced was from 1969. It could have been replaced before ... The most recent swap (ca. 2002) was without resort to a plumber or repiping. Not much to it---you need some plumbers putty if you don't have a stainless steel sink. Not much to it. It was about a one or two hour job as I took my time. Just follow the directions that come with the new one. You can probably find directions for your candidate replacement online at the mfgr's website.

FYI -- you need plumber's putty even if you *do* have a stainless steel sink.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Mmm ... the instruction manual for my unit indicated otherwise.
Take the box of baking soda setting in your fridg (and replace it with a new box). Then take the old box and dump it down the disposal, dump the ice from your icemaker into the sink. Do this just before you go to bed. By morning the ice will be gone and so will the odor.
Get yourself a goat. They haven't changed much since 1969, and even current models DO NOT require cleaning. In my experience, they don't even WANT cleaning, as you may learn if you try to clean one.
A goat will address most, if not all, of your garbage disposal needs, and definitely not stink up the house. (This assumes that you do not let the goat into the house).
If you can't locate a local goat dealer/installer, I'd recommend a compost/mulch heap to address your garbage disposal problems. Like goats, compost/mulch heaps have not changed much since the late 60's, and WILL NOT stink up the house (unless, also like a goat, you set it up in the house).
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@xxyyyzzzz.com says...

boots or something? he he Jimi
Matt wrote:

I have an insinkerator and it doesn't stink. I suspect it's your plumbing and not the GD.
-L.

Yeah.
A bucket in the freezer. Put all food waste into it and take it right out to the dumpster when it gets full. I use a large ziplock bag to line it.
No muss, no fuss, no smell.
IMHO Insinkerators are one of the dumbest ideas in the world.
Barring that, run some vinegar down it now and then, or some lemon peels.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Second only to keeping your garbage in a ziplock bag in the freezer ...........................

It's actually in a covered container on the back of the sink. ;-) I only suggested the freezer as I know two people that do that.
I empty mine every morning out of habit... I refuse to put any food based garbage in my regular trash can.
Meat wrappers go out to the dumpster immediately on opening.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.