Is the IBEW Electrician apprenticeship certified by VA for VA education benefits?

Is the IBEW Electrician apprenticeship certified by VA for VA education benefits?

Reply to
bghilliotti

Do you want to sign up based on what I say or what the VA will say?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

telephone numbers at:

general va education info:
about electricians
more at:

buffalobill

Yes.

Reply to
HarryS

After wasting four years in the active duty army, it would be nice if I could get what they said I was entitled to, my education benefits. You cannot access this money unless you are enrolled in a school, which requires that you pay tuition up front somehow. They don't tell gullable little kids in the recruiting office about this though.

Either way, with or without VA ed. benefits, I got to learn something that will provide me with a viable income. College is a bunch of bullshit. Wasn't for me.

Reply to
bghilliotti

Approval is actually done by the various states, so it is conceivable that the program would be approved in some states, but not approved in others. I wouldn't rely on any statements made by the apprenticeship program itself, however, as there have been instances of "training institutions" making misrepresentations and running off with your money.

You could call your local VA office (they have an 800 number) and ask if the training is approved. If they don't know (education benefits are actually handled by only a few offices), they should be able to tell you who to call to confirm that the program is approved at your location.

They won't be able to tell you if you are eligible, because they have to check your records first.

I agree that they have no consideration for your having to pay the school before getting your checks, and there are often lengthy delays before your claim is allowed or denied, but once the checks start, they do a pretty good job of keeping them coming.

Reply to
Not