Is Stainless Steel This Year's Avocado?

Hi,

We will be updating our kitchen over the next few years. Our 27 year old refrigerator is likely the first to go (no, it isn't avocado). Stainless steel is popular right now but is it going to look dated in another 10 years or is it "timeless?" How is it to keep clean? Does it dent easily and do dents show more than in enameled surfaces?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

White has held up for years for wedding dresses. White is timeless. Looked ok 60 years ago too.

Reply to
RLM

I don't like stainless for residential use, but then again I own a commercial kitchen and look at stainless as a utilitarian component. That being said, I just purchased a Maytag stainless 25 cf bottom freezer/french door refrigerator and a SS Maytag Gemini double oven range..... mainly because my wife likes the look. Will it become outdated in 10 years? I doubt it. There's certainly less risk of SS becoming outdated than the current colors, except for white and black which is always in style. HOWEVER, while SS may not go out of favor, the design of the appliance might. Handles, the curves incorporated into the rectilinear boxes of the appliances, the type of features, etc, will change. For refrigerators alone, the efficiency of said units today will probably seem like energy hogs on a feeding frenzy in a decade.

It can attract and show grease and dirt and fingerprint smudges easier than any color, except glossy black. BUT, there are SS cleaners that easily clean and shine. The biggest danger is if someone tries to use ANYTHING with grit to it, including bon-ami, scrubby pads, scotchbite pads, etc. Use those and the area scrubbed will show a dull patch of microscratches which will show like a pimple on the otherwise flawless face of a fair and unblemished maiden.

It doesn't dent any more or less easily than colored enamel surfaces. It may or may not show dents more easily depending on what color you are talking about.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

On 8/24/2008 12:17 PM abby spake thus:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here: stainless *is* this decade's avocado, meaning that it may indeed look "dated" in 10-20 years or so.

But as to the other part of your question, apart from whether one likes SS or not, it is a good "show" material. It cleans easily, doesn't dent easily (but of course can be dented with enough force and a blunt object), and holds its good looks pretty well.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Stainless actually goes back to the 1950's in some homes. It was used for countertops in some houses along with white appliances. White and SS have both remained in spite of the other colors that have come and gone. Black seems to be holding also.

IMO, if you go with white or SS you'll be in style for a long time. The handles and trim may change though but that is minor by comparison to coppertone. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ROTFLOL!!!

Reply to
Dave Bugg

On Sun 24 Aug 2008 07:10:29p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

Or Harvest Gold.

Then there were the earlier GE colors of turquoise, yellow, and pink.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Anything can go in or out of style over time. Unlike avocado, or any other color, stainless is what is used in commercial kitchens. Hence, it gives the kitchen a commerical or professional look. I'm currently remodeling and going with stainless. I like the look and have no problems with worrying that it may go out of style. IMO, the commercial look is not only attractive, but it adds resale value.

It doesn't scratch or dent any more easily than an other appliance. It is more difficult to keep clean, as it will show any fingerprints, dirt, etc more than most colors would.

Regarding the magnet issue, if it's real stainless, magnets will not stick. Some manufacturers offer a stainless look, which magnets may stick to.

Reply to
trader4

Sub Zero has been selling stainless steel refrigerators to rich snobs for decades, and the hospital morgue look is truly timeless.

If you're one of those fussy people who bathe more than once a month...

Consumer Reports recently tested some products for cleaning stainless, but I don't remember the results. Restaurant supply houses also sell stainless cleaner.

It dents no worse than regular steel, but if you don't want visible dents, stick with white (same for cars).

BTW, one company, maybe LG, sells refrigerators that look like stainless but are actually coated with silvery paint that has tiny black streaks painted over it to look like brushed stainless. That can't be easy to fix it it gets scratched.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 08:23:46a, larry moe 'n curly told us...

Whirlpool makes a line of refrigerators that use a sheet of brushed aluminum under a layer of matte acrylic that looks incredibly like stainless steel. It doesn't fingerprint or require special cleaners. I haven't seen it in ranges, but I believe they also make dishwashers with the same material.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright