Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time."

Page 2 of 3

Stephen Blackpool wrote:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/HomeDepotShaftingShoppers.aspx?GT1 15
in wiping out all of the small stores. To do that they had to make themselves look like good guys at first. Once they decimate the small stores they can cut way back on staff and raise prices.
George wrote:

They could, but they don't. If you can point to one single monopoly that HAS raised prices in a captive market, I'd be surprised (except for professional sports and government-sanction monopolies like utilities).
In fact, the biggest monopoly ever (Standard Oil) - the poster boy for all that's evil about large companies - managed to lower the price of Kerosene from $3.00/gallon to five cents in less than three years! Of course this put the whale-oil suppliers out of business...
HeyBub wrote:

Microsoft, and with Vista
user wrote:

You're right. Even considering inflation, Vista costs more than Windows 95. But with the greater productivity of Vista, users make more money and, hence, can pay more. The additional cost is still a lower percentage of their disposable income than was Win95.
Even so, Vista is not the same product (like Kerosene or nails).

Vista hasn't greater productivity. Quite the opposite actually as vista users will spend most of their time staring at the hourglass whereas a windows 95 user could get some usefull work done with a pentium I.
Unless, of course, you supply Vista with at least 6 ghz of processor, 4GB of ram, etc.

LOL!!!! I didn't know Bill Gates was holding you down making you purchase Vista!
Larry Bud wrote:

Excuse me? Read my headers, asshole
I find that basic hardware items are unavailable at my local HD's. I guess the lack of ability to make big profits on such items as steel rivets keeps HD from stocking them. It's really bad when it's easier to start out shopping at a small hardware store 15 miles away rather than checking at the local HD about 2 miles away because usually the HD either won't have or doesn't stock what you need.

I have a love/hate relationship with Home Depot. I love it because it is convenient and they carry many common items that you need for a home. I hate them because of the service that they provide. I asked a guy where I could find three prong outlets and he commented that I could have just broken off the third prong and it would have worked. Not all of them are that bad but its hard to find good help. I tend to go to Lowes when I am shopping for anything that I feel would look good in the home such as lighting and crown moulding. I go to Home Depot when I am fixing a wall or repairing pipes.
Drastic91 wrote:

Hah, The interior doorknobs and registers I bought from Lowes a little over 3 years ago are losing their brass(?) plating. The chrome light fixture I got at the same time is rusting.
I'm not saying HD's stuff is any better, on the contrary, I've learned to avoid the big box stores when I need "nice looking" stuff now.
--
Art

Yeah, but around here (New Hampshire), I have yet to see a True Value or other like hardware store go under. When I dtalk to the owner's they say HD and Loews address a different market.
I only go to the big ones on Sunday for wood. No where else to get it.
-Jim
At least you have choices. In my small town, all we have is a Menard's. Staffed only by retarded teenagers who avoid customer contact at all costs.

If the manager is near suicide daily, it would be understandable. :-(
Mitch wrote:

I have to say that the Menard's stores near me have people who go out of their way to make sure you're finding what you're looking for, almost to the point of wishing they'd ignore you.
Almost. :)
--
Martians drive SUVs! <http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

I'm like Goldilocks. I don't like it when I can't find anyone, nor when they are always talking to me.
I really don't like it when someone greets me at HD at the door to sell me a credit card.
First, she ruins the fantasy I'm having about all the great hardware I will but and build great things with. Or at least I forget what I came there for.
Second, the rates are outrageous and she'd do me more good working on the floor. They have someone there about 2/3rds of the time.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:55:22 -0500, "justadilettante"

OK, that's better. Thanks. (I still wish she wouldn't talk to me.)

You can't really expect to have choices in a small town.
Don't know about hardware stores, but my home town of 50,000 had 3 lunch counters, only one nice place for dinner, and a Dairy Queen.
It had one high school.
If you had too many stores, it woudn't be a small town. :)
I work for Home Depot, and the article is correct. The dickhead who just left the company ( Nardelli) made his quarterly numbers by cutting costs anywhwere he could....and "store Hours" was a major point of cutting. Every store is given a budget of "man hours" they can spend in any given week (based on prior sales, time of year, time of day etc)...and particularly on week days that means entire departments without coverage by at least one employee. Often you have one guy covering two departments...like appliances and plumbing. Right now - weekdays in the winter - HD is at its lowest hourly store budget. And that means customer service is at its worst. The founders built the chain on that knowledgeable service. Bob Nardelli trashed it in just a few short years. The interesting thing though is how many customers come in complaining about Lowe's (and their corporate flagship store is right across the street). Lowe's pay less, hires young kids who don't know their ass from their elbow, and who actually turn and walk the other way when they see a customer coming. I hear that story 10 times a week. Bottom line is that you can't tar either chain with a single brush. Reagrdless of corporate policies, every store is different and each one a reflection of what that store manager feels is most important. Some stress customer service and some stress paint cans perfectly aligned. Some place HD wins and some Lowes. But the customer always has the final word. My 2 cents worth.
Stephen Blackpool wrote:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/HomeDepotShaftingShoppers.aspx?GT1 15
Any idea what HD pays their managers?

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:01:45 -0500, curmudgeon

I really like that. I'm trying to learn how to do my soup cans at home.