Is Home Depot paint any good?

Guys and girls,
does anyone know how Home Depot brand primer and paints compare to Kelly Moore? Is it justified to spend more money on Kelly Moore? Is there any real advantage to buy more expensive paint in general? BTW I'll be painting wooden surface outside.
Thanks, Alex
I am very happy with Behr indoor semi gloss.... Durable easy to work with covers well.
How often do you repaint?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I agree about Behr paint. It covers well and lasts a long time. I am very pleased with it.

Never had a problem with the paint, but the store, well, that's another issue..........

In general, the better paints cover better, spread easier, splatter less. I use Pittsburgh because my local dealer has it and it has been very good over the years. His prices are very good to. I've never found any bargains at HD or WalMart on paint. Considering the life of paint, an extra $3 per gallon is not much in the end.
Alex,
We will spend more on paint that applies easily. Some of the cheaper paints are more work to apply. They may spatter more, "string out" from the pan or bucket, and just not cover well. I doubt the better paints last that much longer than a cheaper paint (within reason). In Arizona most exteriors need paint every 8-10 years.
The best paint I have ever used for ease of application is Colombia Paints. We were paying $100.00 per 5 gallon bucket. It covered better and went on easier than anything I have ever used. Sadly it is no longer available in my area.
Sorry I don't buy paint at Depot so I can't comment specifically about it.
cm

Alex wrote:

AFAIK Home Depot sells primarily Behr branded paints as their "house brand" -- I've not seen "Home Depot" branded paints so if there is such an animal now, no information on them.
As for Behr, I used their top-line oil primer and latex enamel top coat on the barn and was very pleased w/ covering and ease of application, etc. Sprayed as opposed to brush application except for trim, but no complaints there, either. Has held up well so far in an area very hard on exterior paints from heat and high UV. Chose a high gloss for that reason to get most reflectivity from summer sun possible.
As for more expensive vs less, I always point out that preparation is even more crucial than the paint but as others have noted, cheaper paints are, in general, cheaper for a reason, just as in other product. There is only so much to be gained in the mass marketing/volume cost savings. IMO, the initial cost savings of a cheap paint will most likely be lost by early repainting and/or more material required to get the required coverage.
As for Kelly-Moore paints, I have heard they make a good product but have never used any as I've never been where there was a distributor/retailer.
I had 2 west-facing window exteriors to paint in 1996. I painted one with Ben Moore High Gloss latex. I ran out of paint, and bought a quart of the Behr (HD) high gloss.
The HD performed has performed as well, if not better than the high-priced spread. Ben Moore is supposed to be the best, but I think it is over-priced and not worth the money.
HD paint is perfectly ok.

I've used Behr throughout the house and we've been very happy with it. I've also used their exterior paint on a shed and so far it has held up just fine. They do have sales on it occasionally (typically holiday weekends) where it's like $5 off a gallon although it sounds as though you're not too worried about cost. I haven't used other paints to compare against although my Mother used the American Tradition stuff from Lowes and it was horrible. Didn't cover worth a darn and she had to do multiple coats to get it to finally cover up the previous paint. Cheers, cc
Alex wrote:

Consumer Reports last test listed them as one of the best.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Alex wrote:

I have had terrible results with Behr Premium. It does not cover like a Benjamin Moore or Pittsburgh. Sherwin willimas suck IMO too.
Alex wrote:

Behr is ranked #1 in EVERY category in this month's consumer reports.
And, BTW, it is NOT a HD brand. Behr is an independent company owned by Masco Inc.
On 08/21/06 01:56 pm Curmudgeon wrote:

That's interesting. Many brands of kitchen cabinets (including Mill's Pride, which is an HD exclusive) are Masco subsidiaries.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Masco owns half the brands in Lowes and HD...Delta faucets, 3 different cabinet companies and lots more. My wife works for them.

I've done a lot of interior painting and I don't like Behr products. They don't cover well, in my experience. I've had terrific luck with ACE Hardware paints.
Dawn