Is anyone familiar with blue sheathed 14/2?

I was in Home Depot yesterday and noticed they had blue sheathed 14/2. What is that for? It looks just like the white sheathed wire. I know that 12/2 is now yellow. But the blue....???
Gary
gary wrote:

Hi, I think color does not have special meaning. I saw blue, brown, orange, white, black, yellow colors.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I was told that they changed the colors so that inspectors and others would easily know the gauge of the wire without trying to read the impossible-to-read writing on the side of the wire. So, they now see yellow and know it's 12. To the OP, I had thought 14 was still always white, but I guess not.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yep, it doesn't... :)
I did a quick dags to see if I could find any reference to a new standard for cable sheathing colors and it came up empty. I'm nearly certain the color is simply a convenience for installer (keeping easier track of multiple cables in a single run path, for example).
dpb wrote:

OK, I looked outside of any official standards and found another manufactuer (Encore) besides the one (Southwire) Michael Thomas posted using the same code--but no blue.

Blue is for boys.

When we had our kitchen redone the electrician used yellow wire, he said so inspector could tell old from new.

Its so the inspector knows that 12 gauge wire was used there.

It's not a "standard", but from some manufactuers (for example, Southwire) NM is:
White - 14 AWG Yellow - 12 AWG Orange - 10 AWG Black - 8 AWG and 6 AWG
Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection, LLC Chicago, IL mdt@paragoninspectsDOTcom 847-475-5668
MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC wrote:

Yeah, I just found another manufacturer's catalog has the codings as well...
Ya' larns sumthin' all the time... :)
I guess what threw me was old stock on the same shelf -- yellow and white 12/2 from the same manufacturer were side-by-side last time I bought a roll retail (which has been a while) so I just figured it was a "users' choice" thingy...makes sense to have a code, however, assuming everybody will either use the same one or stick w/ white. If various manufactuers do other odd things (like, where's the blue come from OP noted in the above chart?) then it's worse than everything one color for the unexperienced average joe who can't recognize a 12 from a 10 or 14 simply from the size of the bare conductor...
gary wrote:

ive seen blue romex but it was older wire20 plus years old id say maybe someone found an old supply and put it out there?
replying to sym, whippy wrote:

the blue 14/2 is used to identify arc fault circuits.