Irrigation system problem.

(I've also posted this in lawn.garden, but perhaps a plumber may have an answer to this.)
Last fall I extended my irrigation system by tapping into the main supply line and creating a manifold with three solonoid valves and one "direct" line with a manual valve. I ran an additional line to the rear of my property for an "always on" hose spigot. I didn't hook it up over the winter. Each of the irrigation valves work well.
Now that we won't be getting any more deep freezes, I hooked up my "always on" valve to the line running to the spigots.
To my surprise and puzzlement the pump will not supply water to this line unless one of the irrigation valves in the manifold are open. I don't understand this. The valves are "downstream" of the direct line and should not have any affect on the valve that is tapped directly into the main supply line.
It seems to me that when the manual valve is open water should flow out of the valve to the spigot. Tests have shown that water will flow freely to the spigot when hooked to a garden hose.
I am puzzled why the pump won't come on when the manual valve alone is open and only when one of the irrigation valves in the same manifold is operational. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Jackson Chesapeake, VA

Is the ground still frozen
The ground doesn't freeze here in SE Virginia. It only dropped into the teens once or twice this year.
I received a reply from someone in the Lawn & Garden group that has to do with the way my irrigation controller is set up. I may have two lines coming from my pump. One that is "always on" and triggered by pressure and one that only comes on when my controller tells it to. Jackson
wrote:

Is the ground still frozen
Where is this pump? Are you on a well, or is this pump between your supply and the irrigation system?
It sounds like you may have a pump between your supply and irrigation system to increase pressure for the irrigation system. If that is the case, the pump will block water flow when it is not activated, and if you have tapped into the irrigation system downstream from the pump, you will get flow only when the pump is activated. Tapping into the supply line upstream from the pump blockage should give you whatever pressure is there to your new line.
JD wrote:

Discovered that the water supply line coming off of the pump divides into two systems One is always on and it goes to the garden hose spigots. The irrigation system supply line has a valve near the pump that only opens when the controller is on. This is in addition to each zone having a control valve. After discovering this, I tapped into the "always on" system and am now in good shape. JD