Irrigation system question

Reply to
Cuttysark

We recently purchased a house with an irrigation system. I have a question. Is it okay to turn off the the water (at the main valve) after each use? Will it do any harm?

Thanks.

Reply to
Family Guy

Andy writes:

Depends on the sytem... If the pump comes on automatically, and the water source is turned off, the pump will not be able to circulate water and may burn out. Remember, a pump must always have water flowing thru it.....both for heat dissipation and lubrication...

If nothing happens automatically, as long as the person that turns on the pump knows to turn on the water first, there should be no problem.

I assume that by the "main valve" you mean the valve that connects the city water to the house water line. The one that turns off ALL the

water to the house....

If you do this, also make sure that the hot water heater is turned off also. If the hot water heater overheats, and boils itself dry, the elements will burn out. This can also happen if the plumbing loads are such that the hot water can drain out of the tank if a spigot is left open..... It's always a BAD idea to turn off the water if electric emersion heaters , such as found in hot water heaters, come into play.....So turn off the

hot water heater, whether it is gas or electric....

Well, those are all the things I can think of.... I guess you are worried about running up a big water bill before you are able to move in.... Just do the things above, and you should be OK.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

No harm that I ever heard of - if the valves corrode in the air, they will corrode in the water.

Here, each line is to have vacuum breaker, and so they drain out anyway.

And since the lines are mechanical parts, you know that someday some part is going to fail and leak... better for that to happen when you are looking at it.

fwiw

Reply to
hob

The valve seats in the control valve may dry out and dribble when turned on as well some oxidation may occur. As well if the controller is directly controlling a pump. I wouldn't recommend it.

Control valves don't last forever so replace if neccessary not working or low volume.

AndyS wrote:

Reply to
spinefellow02