iron sources

I am looking for some VERY LIGHT angle iron and channel. I mean, in the 24 ga. variety. It will be to receive and hold decorative panels, and will be held in place either with spot welds or pop rivets. The angle would be approximately 3/8" to 1" per leg, and the channel would be different widths from 3/8" to 1".

I am going to go to my local steel yard tomorrow to pick up some other materials, and will ask them if they know local suppliers.

Anyone here know of online sites? I have googled under light gauge angle iron and channel, but only come up with info on heavier varieties.

I guess I could use aluminum, too.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Would any of the shapes used for drop ceiling (tiles) be useful? Have a browse at Home Depot for ideas.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You may get some sheet iron cut to about 2 inch strips and have them bent to a 90 deg angle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

For sheet metal duct work, they make reinforced drive cleat and standing "S" cleat with leg.

Bob

Can't tell how much you need total. There is an auto junkyard near here that also has lots of non-auto stuff. I can't remember if other auto junkyards have the same stfuff or not ???, but his is just as you drive in.

He has lawn mowers, bicycles, parking meter heads, barbecue grills, metal building materials, and lots of other things. The stuff changes over time. Some of the might work for you.

Especially worth it if you viist every so often and keep in mind projects that are months or years away.

mm

Contact any commercial drywall supply. Ask for utility angle.

Here is an example:

framing channel:

DanG