Internal Tooth Lock washer

I am trying to install a new internal tooth lock washer that holds a wheel in place from falling off. Its for my kids little battery powered 4x4 that he drives around. This washer is suppose to be pressed on the steel rod after the tire to hold the tire in place, but I have no idea how to install it as it is so hard to try and push on. I've tried using a hammer and screwdriver but that doesn't work either. Does anyone know if there is a special way to install a internal tooth lock washer into place ?
car crash wrote:

Not having the proper tool, I usually use a deep socket of the correct diameter, and a mallet. A plain fender washer outside the lock washer under the socket helps, if you can find one with a center hole the right size. (Stuff like this is why you should always throw extra and orphan nut's'bolts in a bucket, just in case.)
-- aem sends...

Tap it on with a 12 point socket fitted on a short extension to help hold it straight. Only other tool needed is plastic hammer. (You don't want to be mean to a nice extension, do you?)
Joe

Short length of pipe plus hammer. -- H

The socket and hammer idea worked perfectly. Thanks all !

If you use a socket to put it on, do you use a plug to get it off?