Intermatic Wall Switch Timer EJ500C Fries!

I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure especially in cold environments.) The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes. The run to the bulb IS 100 ft, buried wire, said you shouldn't do that in the instructions. (WHYYYYYYY?) Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a similar switch that is reliable, not made by IM???? In my opinion, ALL Intermatic stuff is junk. Have had problems with everything I have ever bought that they make. Help much appreciated! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

The low-end Intermatic products ARE junk. Use the SS7C - it is much better designed and will handle inductive loads (that's the root cause of your problem - the large inductance of the long load circuit).

Reply to
Travis Jordan

This gets complicated. I used the SS7 (don't know about the C) for years and had endless trouble with the little motor (relay) inside. When left in an unheated house over the winter (even with the battery out and the switch disconnected) I would return and find the "no0p" message when the battery was reinstalled. This happened repeatedly! The relay failed even with one of the switches installed in a moderately cold environment but with heat in the house. I was told at the time by someone in this newsgroup that there was a known problem with these switches but that IM continued to market them. IM always sent replacements promptly, but that was small consolation for the nuisance of having to constantly replace them! Apparently you have never seen this. I really do appreciate your help, but I am done buying these switches. I thought the EJ500C might be the answer because it does not appear to use a mecahnical relay, but it obviously has this inductance problem. There is a Canadian company that makes a similar switch. Any experience with that one? Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Looks like a very nice timer, but no battery backup...(like all mechanical timers) Thanks!

Reply to
frank1492

The Canadian one is made by Aube.

Reply to
frank1492

Hi Frank -

Well, I'm in a warm southern climate, so maybe the problem was temperature related. I can't imagine why a wide temperature swing would cause the relay to fail. Perhaps it was a failure in one of the electronic components that drives the relay.

What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many), battery backup *yes*...what else?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Here's two wall switch timers that might work for you. Haven't tried either one, so I can't vouch for their reliability.

Another option might be to eliminate the wall timer and install a in-line industrial duty time switch at your electrical panel. Assuming that the lighting you want to control is on it's own circuit, of course.

Travis Jordan

Thank you again. I knew Leviton made one but you never see them. The GE looks good (will handle inductive loads) but I only found one source and I'll bet it's pricey (but worth it maybe?) If you are in the south, I believe that explains why the IM works for you. The problem is definitely freeze-related and something to do with the mechanical relay. I will let you know if I get more info. I guess you haven't used the Aube. I do know of one place that carries these, but again they are rare. Your time and effort on this has been MOST appreciated and you have given me some very good leads! Thank you! Frank.

Reply to
frank1492

I too was confused about the "C" designation and called Intermatic. They said it just indicates a different packaging (one comes in a box and the other in crimped plastic)

Are you referring to Aube? I have recently installed about 6 of their timers. I *really* like the fact that the switch and timer sit flish to the plate and look just like a regular Decora paddle (other than the LCD window). My only (minor) reseravation is that the cover is a bit difficult to open to change the settings and I am concerned that it might eventually break off (though to date I have not had any problems). Cost is about $30-35.

Reply to
blueman

Looks exactly the same as the Aube timer. Not sure who OEMs for whome but seemingly identical.

Reply to
blueman