Intermatic Wall Switch Timer EJ500C Fries!

I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure especially in cold environments.) The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes. The run to the bulb IS 100 ft, buried wire, said you shouldn't do that in the instructions. (WHYYYYYYY?) Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a similar switch that is reliable, not made by IM???? In my opinion, ALL Intermatic stuff is junk. Have had problems with everything I have ever bought that they make. Help much appreciated! Frank
frank1492 wrote:

The low-end Intermatic products ARE junk. Use the SS7C - it is much better designed and will handle inductive loads (that's the root cause of your problem - the large inductance of the long load circuit).
This gets complicated. I used the SS7 (don't know about the C) for years and had endless trouble with the little motor (relay) inside. When left in an unheated house over the winter (even with the battery out and the switch disconnected) I would return and find the "no0p" message when the battery was reinstalled. This happened repeatedly! The relay failed even with one of the switches installed in a moderately cold environment but with heat in the house. I was told at the time by someone in this newsgroup that there was a known problem with these switches but that IM continued to market them. IM always sent replacements promptly, but that was small consolation for the nuisance of having to constantly replace them! Apparently you have never seen this. I really do appreciate your help, but I am done buying these switches. I thought the EJ500C might be the answer because it does not appear to use a mecahnical relay, but it obviously has this inductance problem. There is a Canadian company that makes a similar switch. Any experience with that one? Thanks. Frank

The Canadian one is made by Aube.
On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:22:03 GMT, frank1492

frank1492 wrote:

Hi Frank -
Well, I'm in a warm southern climate, so maybe the problem was temperature related. I can't imagine why a wide temperature swing would cause the relay to fail. Perhaps it was a failure in one of the electronic components that drives the relay.
What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many), battery backup *yes*...what else?
Travis Jordan wrote:

Here's two wall switch timers that might work for you. Haven't tried either one, so I can't vouch for their reliability.
http://www.grasslin.com/pdf/et724.pdf http://www.smarthomepro.com/1122.html
Another option might be to eliminate the wall timer and install a in-line industrial duty time switch at your electrical panel. Assuming that the lighting you want to control is on it's own circuit, of course.
http://www.grasslin.com/gmx-e.html
Thank you again. I knew Leviton made one but you never see them. The GE looks good (will handle inductive loads) but I only found one source and I'll bet it's pricey (but worth it maybe?) If you are in the south, I believe that explains why the IM works for you. The problem is definitely freeze-related and something to do with the mechanical relay. I will let you know if I get more info. I guess you haven't used the Aube. I do know of one place that carries these, but again they are rare. Your time and effort on this has been MOST appreciated and you have given me some very good leads! Thank you! Frank.

Looks exactly the same as the Aube timer. Not sure who OEMs for whome but seemingly identical.

I too was confused about the "C" designation and called Intermatic. They said it just indicates a different packaging (one comes in a box and the other in crimped plastic)

Are you referring to Aube? I have recently installed about 6 of their timers. I *really* like the fact that the switch and timer sit flish to the plate and look just like a regular Decora paddle (other than the LCD window). My only (minor) reseravation is that the cover is a bit difficult to open to change the settings and I am concerned that it might eventually break off (though to date I have not had any problems). Cost is about $30-35.
Tork makes a completely mechanical switch replacement timer that works very well and is not vulnerable to voltage spikes etc. It only draw back is that it must be in a single gang box as it's to large to gang with other switches

Looks like a very nice timer, but no battery backup...(like all mechanical timers) Thanks!
On Sun, 1 May 2005 17:33:00 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove