Intermatic ST01 timer on 3 way circuit operating a light

You're half way done. I'd quit and call it a success. As Mitt Romney said today, no one's perfect.
I thought you were poutting the timer on in place of a 2-way switch. Is your timer designed to replace a 3-way switch. It's a lot more complicated.

I trhought you had some uninsulated ground wires, every place you're supposeed to have them. Are you saying the box is grounded but not the switch? If so, run a piece of wire from the ground to the designated place on the switch. Assuming you have the right switch.

My condolences.
The Intermatic ST01 is a very versatile / capable timer but a bearcat (imo) to program & keep working. :(
I bought to use on the front porch light (cfl bulb) and got it working after a lot of work........ a year & a half later it stopped working because the battery went dead. Program was lost. :(
I put a new battery in it but could't get the program working again 100% correctly. Too lazy to keep fighting with it. The light now goes on more or less when I want it and I turn it off when I notice it on at the wrong time.
cheers Bob
On 2/26/2012 4:28 PM, Doug wrote:

I posted a link to the manufacturers video of this installation on your other post regarding this problem. No, the ground doesn't matter. I don't believe that the location of the timer matters either, despite the fact that the show the timer being installed in the "main" switch location, where the feed comes in. Watch the video and mimic. click the link, then the resources tab, then click "installing the jumper"
http://www.intermatic.com/en/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Electronic_Timers/ST01.aspx

I will report if it matters but I tried everything I could think of and so far no luck. Later I will reverse the location of the timer and wire it the same. I can only say that the guide says it matters so we'll see. To me it is stupid to have a timer in the garage for the outside porch lights but so be it. If I was younger and more knowledgeable, I'd rewire the porch light and make it the way I want. I will update my findings later today after I rewire the timer in the garage.

SUCCESS !!!! Ok, I took several pieces of advice here and here's what I did. I took off the timer and the switch from both ends of the 3 way circuit so I had just loose wires. Then I tested each end to find the hot wire. The hot wire was in the garage (makes sense since the circuit box is in the garage too). Then I switched the timer and switch locations so now I have the 3 way switch in the kitchen and the timer in the garage. I tested it and it works now from both ends. I did notice that when I put the timer into manual mode and it was on, the 3 way switch in the kitchen worked fine. However if I shut the timer off in manual mode, the 3 way switch in the kitchen no longer worked. I presume the timer will control the circuit when it is in a timed situation too but I haven't gotten that far yet. As I said earlier, I don't like the timer in the garage but that's another story.
I want to THANK ALL who replied since I couldn't have done this fast for sure without your help !!! A big THANKS .
ps-- This timer has good reviews but from my experience, the mfgr does not give good support or let me say it this way... that when I left a question on their site as instructed if you have questions, they never got back to me and it's almost a week later.