Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

Page 7 of 9
Solar Flaire wrote:

Is complaining all you can do? HD's firsrt stores were near me, and they had good people for well over a decade. The local one has several part time retired electricians working there, as well as plumbers. The give basic advice, but on complex jobs they tell the customers to either hire the job, or talk to the county inspectors before starting the job. They know what they stock, and how to use it. I guess HD Canada isn't able to find people like this for their stores. Other hardware and building supply chains are long gone that tried to compete against them, and none of them are missed.
prove it.
Since you asked.
Most of the management are USanians and do not understand a higher ethic required. They order what the mothership tells them to order. If they get it wrong too often they become drive through attendents at McDonald's
Nobody can blame them for where they are born.
I am glad you trust the slaes people at HD. I can read.

Solar Flaire wrote:

Did your mother have any kids who lived? You can't be as ignorant as you appear, and still be alive. Corporate purchasing is carefully tracked, and the store stock is based on what sells. If the equipment was not up to code, it wouldn't pass inspection. They 'hide' it to keep brain dead DIYers like you from killing themselves.

You can't write worth as damn.
BTW, what kind of fairy name is "Flaire"?
prove it.
To many shots to the head? Or not enough?

Solar Faire wrote:

Not enough. You're still able to post your glaring ignorance and hatred to Usenet.
prove it.
You should have stuck with your "service" where somebody tells you what to think.

Solar Flaire wrote:

Is that what you think Military service is? You're even more deluded than I thought. Since it's not nice for me to taunt idiots like you, I declare you too stupid to live on Usenet.
What's that noise? Oh, no! The flaming Canadian fairy was just bounced into the bit bucket! PLONKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prove it.
Fairy Floss in:

only offer it was a few moments of your Life wasted. No one else appears to have had a problem figuring GB out right from the start of his wee troll. You play, at the expense of the rest of those wishing to participate in these forums. Think about that the next time you recognise the GB 'style' :-/ It is precisely because of Folks as yourself that a trail of wasteland is behind this arsehole. You feed the Attention it lacks in RL.
The only positive aspect I got from both yourself and <clewis> responding is at least you know How To respond to Top Posting twats... and I am not talking about strategy/language.
Hint: You will need all your social skills to quiet the GB arsehole when it pops from Google//Shaw//[add new accounts here]. _IT_ will laugh long and loudly at *any* computer skill/s you display.
        cheers
        Ln
On Mon, 28 May 2007 21:50:55 +1000, Lectron_Nuis

it into a hole and cover it over? No one owns a backhoe?
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

You did notice that the president of HD Canada is Canadian and HD Canada is HQ'd in the maritimes, didn't you? Did you notice all the awards she's gotten from outside of HD?
Guess not.
--
Chris Lewis,

Weren't you saying something about reading comprehension?

Nonsense. I'm not sure whether you're living in a alternative universe Canada, or are unable to tell the difference between HD and Canadian Tire. Or, with the rant about usians, perhaps you're confused between Walmart and HD. Or, perhaps you work for Rona.
I have had no problem _ever_ getting expert advice at HD (in contrast to most other places) at any of the Canadian HDs I've gone into. The one nearest us proudly displays a listing of their "experts"'s names in the electrical/plumbing isles, how many years (usually decades) they've been in the trade, and which of them are on duty at the time.

You're following the wrong one.
--
Chris Lewis,

Lucky you then. I'll get my knowledge from the code books and people that know. I don't like tearing thimngs out and redoing them.
Perhaps the minimum wage where you are is higher or perhaps the knowledge they spew is vast compared to yours.

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:40:30 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

<plink> the sound pond scum makes rebounding off the inside of the bitbucket..
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Google for "electrical wiring faq" and note who one of the two authors are.
It's good enough that the US military just requested permission to use it in some of their base maintenance courses/programmes.
Oh, and yes, the CEC doesn't disallow automatic transfer switches.

I never have.
--
Chris Lewis,

Not quite.
Some background:
The legislative framework (eg: "The Ontario Electrical Power Act" (or something like that)) in Canada says that following the CEC is mandatory (subject to fines or imprisonment), and secondly that all utility-powered devices (up to the "last" enclosure that receives line voltage, and some downstream[+]) must be approved in accordance with the CEC's requirements before they can be sold, and that for the most part custom alterations void approvals.
Then, the CEC enumerates _who_ gets to approve things. General electrical devices always have to be type approved by the CSA (and/or UL/ULC now), _or_ unit-approval by the electrical utility, or by certain accredited labs (eg: Warnock Hersey). Beyond that point, it also says that certain classes of devices that include other regulated things (eg: gas, emergency fire equipment etc) must _also_ be approved by certain other agencies.
In general, then, a transfer switch must always be approved by one of the "electrical inspection" agencies they enumerate, and further a "emergency fire pump" must also be approved by the agency relevant to that - I don't have my book handy, so I can't say for sure what that is. NFPA equivalent.

Are these manufactured devices? Eg: is the bar assembly manufactured (and presumably approved) or, is this cobbled together by an electrician?
Secondly, residential versus other?
There are some blanket differences between single occupant residential and everything else. One of the more important things is that, except for single occupant residential, DIY is essentially forbidden - a licensed electrician is always required. And secondly, because of the blanket requirements for CSA/UL etc approvals for the purpose within the type of installation involved (eg: access etc) something acceptable, say, in an industrial situation wouldn't be in residential.

You certainly have a point there. In Canada from a _code_ perspective (rather than an inspector's personal druthers) it'd boil down to whether such a device was permissible in a residential system, eg: whether requirements for such things as "access to authorized [read: licensed in some cases] personnel only" would override. There are many things permissible in industrial/commercial that aren't in residential.
[+] Wallwarts largely exist to "stop" the noses of CSA/UL at a wallwart, and not to the low voltage connected devices.
--
Chris Lewis,

I don't know where you are located but check out this item available in south Florida.
www.fpl.com/oneplug
The Oneplug is essentially an isolator/ transfer switch that takes your home off the grid when your generator powers up, it is installed by the power company, and doesn't have to be tied into your wiring inside the house.
We sell industrial generators and transfer switches, but I like the concept of this item so much, I'm recommending it to my customers as an alternative.
Good luck,
Ed

Wow. I'd be really interested in one of these, but I'm not an FPL customer and that price seems a bit high. Seems that you could do a traditional transfer switch and a couple of hours of professional labor for quite a bit less than that.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

The product has been available for a few years. It is a very good concept, and would offer a particularly good alternative for renters because it involved no modifications to the house and can be moved from house to house.
As offered by FP&L, the price is just crazy.
Vaughn

I agree. Essenitally, all it has to be are a couple of sets of honkin diodes or solid state switches and a connector inside an extention tube. Granted, the price quoted includes removing the meter and replacing it, but that would take all of 5 minutes.
On the other hand, a quick Google search suggests that $1000 seems to be the going rate from several other utilities & coops.
Kind of reminds me of a program the local utility had going around here a few years ago. They had not done a very good job at the time of engineering for lightning, so surges were a big problem. Their short term response was to offer a meter mounted surge arrestor for something like $20/month plus a several hundred dollar install fee.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
I doubt this would ever be approved for Canadian usage. I am not sure if automatic transfer switches would be allowed without a lockable manual switch between it and the grid.
If you broke the seal for the meter mounting to the base it would be considered stealing power and probably never allowed.
Is UL listed the same as UL approved?