Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

You need to hire a new comedy writer. I hear that Jeff Foxworthy does comedy eulogies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is complaining all you can do? HD's firsrt stores were near me, and they had good people for well over a decade. The local one has several part time retired electricians working there, as well as plumbers. The give basic advice, but on complex jobs they tell the customers to either hire the job, or talk to the county inspectors before starting the job. They know what they stock, and how to use it. I guess HD Canada isn't able to find people like this for their stores. Other hardware and building supply chains are long gone that tried to compete against them, and none of them are missed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Separately Derived System. If that term is not familiar to you, code is not your strong point. That is another source of power that mimics a utility, in particular, one with the ground and neutral that are bonded. You can also connect a generator with ground and neutral that are not bonded. In that case the bonding jumper in your service with accomplish the same thing and you do not switch the neutral in your transfer equipment. In any case you want one and only one bonding jumper in the system at any time.

This has to do with parallel grounding paths and has nothing to do with backfeeding the grid. Your double pole double throw switching device does that. and it can legally be accomplished with 2 breakers that are mechanically interlocked. The code does not specify things that are legal or illegal. The only requirement is that each path is mutually exclusive.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Michael A. Terrell" , HAS blest us all with:

Not an option for Gymmy Bob, unless it is on a pro bono basis. /sarcasm

Tip..you will need to do a lot more to hear a GB eulogy. That Golden info you posted is useless. You need:

Golden illusion is just one of a few 'tricks' this moron has down pat, as a MO. GB also runs a Shaw account, for starters. Some links that will help the uninitiated.

cheers

Ln

Reply to
Lectron_Nuis

So you just threw the term in to confuse the issue then?

US code is not my strong point. Most of the weird stuff will not pass in Canada where the standards are classically higher.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

"Solar Flaire"aka Gymmy Bob//JP Bengi//Pizza Girl//Piezo Guru , dribbled the ball in with:

Another 'one' that isn't covered in Popular Mechanics, huh,, Gymmy Bob

List what is :-/ This confession says it all.

You are not capable of sitting back and _reading_ the garbage you publish but be assured those who stumble on your shit do shake their head in awe. "classically higher" ??...WTF sort of fsckn Engrish is THAT !! LMAO

And. Your lapse into dyslexia is noted. Must be a hell of an evening you are having there..arsehole

--------------- Message-ID: [..] I am glad you trust the slaes people at HD. I can read.

--------------

...enjoy thumping that keyboard

/smirk

Reply to
Lectron_Nuis

Since you asked.

Most of the management are USanians and do not understand a higher ethic required. They order what the mothership tells them to order. If they get it wrong too often they become drive through attendents at McDonald's

Nobody can blame them for where they are born.

I am glad you trust the slaes people at HD. I can read.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

No it is the deciding factor when you are deciding about switching the neutral in transfer equipment. I am a US inspector but I do have collegues in Canada and I bet if I ask them they will confirm that CEC rules on SDS and neutral switching are basically the same.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did your mother have any kids who lived? You can't be as ignorant as you appear, and still be alive. Corporate purchasing is carefully tracked, and the store stock is based on what sells. If the equipment was not up to code, it wouldn't pass inspection. They 'hide' it to keep brain dead DIYers like you from killing themselves.

.........................^^^^^^..........................

You can't write worth as damn.

BTW, what kind of fairy name is "Flaire"?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Most power companies require "visible disconnect" switches so the lineman can visually check that the home with the generator is disconnected before he start working on restoring the power to the line. Seems like at least one lineman has died in every major storm related outage in my region while repairing lines. Don't think all of these were generator related. Linemen are working 16 hour days, 7 day weeks during major events, and like most of us, make mistakes. Your switches may cost a life. A lesser problem is the generator may cause the power to trip a breaker or blow a fuse somewhere else on the line if your disconnect switches aren't working properly.

Without this disconnect, your power may not be restored during an outage. I've been told they will not work on the line until the switches are upgraded to meet the current standard. Since you have a generator, you might be willing to live with this. But your neighbors may decide to go to court if they suffer damages due to your safety compliance.

Reply to
cmiles3

According to Solar Flaire :

Who is talking about large automotive plants?

You wouldn't use one of these in an automotive plant:

Note the CSA approval.

How is a plug and receptacle _not_ a manual disconnecting device?

CEC permits both manual and automatic transfer switches.

Or

Chris Lewis

According to Solar Flaire :

Weren't you saying something about reading comprehension?

Nonsense. I'm not sure whether you're living in a alternative universe Canada, or are unable to tell the difference between HD and Canadian Tire. Or, with the rant about usians, perhaps you're confused between Walmart and HD. Or, perhaps you work for Rona.

I have had no problem _ever_ getting expert advice at HD (in contrast to most other places) at any of the Canadian HDs I've gone into. The one nearest us proudly displays a listing of their "experts"'s names in the electrical/plumbing isles, how many years (usually decades) they've been in the trade, and which of them are on duty at the time.

You're following the wrong one.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Solar Flaire :

You did notice that the president of HD Canada is Canadian and HD Canada is HQ'd in the maritimes, didn't you? Did you notice all the awards she's gotten from outside of HD?

Guess not.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Where in the world do you live? Either they pull the meter, or disconnect the drop from the secondaries. I've seen it done repeatedly around here after each hurricane.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have seen so much bullshit on this thread. POCO guys will just drop out the primary fuse on your transformer, do what they have to do and yank it back in with their hot stick. If something is amiss they will watch the fireworks from a safe distance.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you say so, but the out of state crews weren't taking any chances. I had nothing else to do for three weeks while I waited for them to replace the fuse at the entrance to my subdivision, so I watched a lot of the repair work as they replaced thousands of sheared off poles and downed primary and secondary lines.

Popping a fuse back in doesn't help, till the system is repaired, and if a house was badly damaged, they refused to reconnect power till the property was inspected. A lot of red tags on properties and even some poles because a side street had too many problems. Several house had the drops disconnected and coiled up by the meter poles on their property, until the county said it was ok to reconnect them.

Marion county took several bad hits over the last few years, and Progress Energy was to busy co-ordinating repairs to do much of the actual work. There were about five out of state crews working under each local crew, and the goal was to restore power to as many buildings as possible, as soon as possible. Some damaged poles in residential areas were replaced a year after they were damaged, because they only affected a few homes.

My subdivision was built in 1964, and the distribution system is a joke. Fuses blow almost every week, the old wire breaks with a little wind, and it was designed for 60 amp service, not the current 200 amp service that is required for any new installs or upgrades. During the summer when all the central air conditioners are running, and people start cooking supper, we lose power for three streets at about 5 PM every Friday, all summer long. it takes them about four hours to get here with two or three line buckets and inspect for branches touching the wires and downed drops before they replace the fuse.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FPL seems to do a lot better job down here in SW Fla. Maybe it is because we are more exposed to the storms. We had our power back in a day after Wilma and Charlie. (they came right over us). We never lost power in the other dozen or so near misses over the quarter century I have been here. This is also a 60s era neighborhood. My house was built in 1963. Surprisingly it has roof clips that are equal to or exceed the current code set in a poured tie beam.

Reply to
gfretwell

We lost over 1000 power poles, and they can only replace so many a day. The Florida green Belt runs right behind my house. When I moved in eight years ago, you couldn't find a gap in the trees. Now 75% or more of the trees are gone Old oaks and pines were snapping like match sticks, but they deflected a lot of wind away from my house. My house is the very last one in the back corner of the subdivision, so anything that causes a problem takes out my electricity.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No luck, it was turned in to the county during a toxic household waste amnesty day recently.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's what I saw in Mississippi many years ago. If the drop to a house was damaged, they disconnected it. Then they would power up the block and most houses would get power back. The few that had damaged service entrances or other problems wouldn't get power back for quite some time (on the order of a couple of weeks, when they finished with the main lines and feeders, they would come back and do individual service).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom