Interesting AC story

My AC is 24 years old and, though I don't use it very much, it works fine.

I've had two repairs or 4 depending on how you count**

The second is the most interesting. After I lived her 8 or 10 years, plus the 4 years the house was here before, it started leaking water on the floor, instead of out the plastic pipe that is meant to drain it. Enough to wet and be soaked up by all the boxes on the floor and still cover most of the empty floor too.

The pipe was horizontal for an inch, then down for two inches, then to the left until it got to the wall, then down to the floor and across to near the sumppump, then left to above the sump pump.

I couldn't think of an easy way so I cut the pipe off near the evaporator in the big heating and AC duct, and I poured water down the pipe. The water came out fine, but I ran a garden hose and forced it through at a high rate to flush out the pipe. It came out at a high rate also. I put it back together again, but I had the same problem.

I cut a hole or used the humidifier hole and used mirrors to look all around and I saw nothing. This went on for a couple years. Finally when I replaced the waterheater and had room to work, I took off the pipe again and cut it and rearranged it and made it run down 12 or 18 inches after the first bend, and only then head for the wall.

It works fine now, for at least 5 years (though not used much.) I think everyone else in the n'hood has the same design I did. And mine worked fine for more than a decade.

Another mystery.

FTR The other was a cracked collar on the big condensor fan outside. I think I put an extra washer in place and it stopped rattling. Later I took the fan blade from a unit the neighbor was scrapping, but I haven't put it in yet.

**The other two were the squirrel cage fan blade that is also used by the furnace to actually blow the air around the house.

And the 24 volt transformer that is also used by the furnace to run the whole thing.

Are these considered parts of the AC?

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

meirman the troll you are in charge now

Reply to
mark Ransley