insulation spray foam

Page 1 of 2
i put in a new window and used this foam to fill in cracks of open space..... like a dummy, i didn't wear gloves and got it on my fingers. i tried rubbing alcohol and a few other things, but i haven't been able to get it all the way off. it's made by DOW, it's called "Great Stuff"...any suggestions on how to get rid of it would be appreciated.

first? does it have an 800 # on the can to call?
I have used it with and without gloves. If you use vinyl or latex gloves and they tear, the effect is the same as going gloveless. I have found that by taking a long bath or shower and letting your hands turn to prunes, it can be scraped off by an exacto knife without loosing TOO much skin. But the skin on your fands must be REALLY soft. I was also told it helps to wash your hands with waterless hand cleaner BEFORE you use the stuff. Then it will come off easier.
Stretch
thanks everyone :-)
: i put in a new window and used this foam to fill in cracks of open : space..... like a dummy, i didn't wear gloves and got it on my fingers.
try nail polish remover. it has stuff in it so your skin won't get as dried out as using straight acetone. And it's easy to get.
Try a little DOT 3 brake fluid if you have some
On another note, you have to be careful using this stuff to insulate around a window, too much and you might not be able to close the window. My father mentioned that there was a similar product that came in the same form except that it didn't expand, I forget what it is.
I only use insulation scraps around the windows.
FH wrote:

You could try kerosene, acetone, and WD-40, but it won't do you any good. The only thing that I have found that will get it off is a stiff bristle fingernail brush and a lot of elbow grease. You kind of have to sand it off. Once the top layer of your skin is gone, the stains will be too. I usually just let it wear off. It takes about 3-5 days.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Never tried it, but acetone is supposed to help. It will slowly go away in a few days to a week. The instructions say to wear gloves, but I figured I was going to be neat enough. I wasn't. Twice.

If you had gotten to it while it was still wet, you could have removed it with a rag dipped in acetone or paint thinner.
Now that it has dried, the only thing that will remove it is time. Your skin is constantly shedding dead cells at the top layer and growing new ones underneath. That top layer is the only part of you that the stuff is stuck to. It will be gone within a few days, a week at the most.
http://www.dow.com/greatstuff/pro/faq.htm
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
Lee Valley has this stuff called "liquid gloves" or something like that. Apply it to your hands before doing messy stuff and the gunk will adhere to the film & not your skin.

Sandpaper. Sand it off...... That's about all you can do. Next time, wear disposible gloves, or coat your hands with a thick layer of vaseline before you use the stuff. It's messy stuff no matter what you do it it.....

Doug Miller wrote:

Not necessarily. If time was important, say you just had to be ready for that hand-modeling shoot, you could always try a wire wheel on the grinder.

And, of course, it gives you something fun to pick at.

yer right about the expansion, i had to remove it and re-do it.
"> http://www.dow.com/greatstuff/pro/faq.htm

thanks Rich :-)

Normal washing and passage of time will remove it in about 4-5 days.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Try a product called "goof-off" or acetone.

FH wrote:

made a mess. In the end, I used a scalpel and needle-nose pliers to pull some small drops of Great Stuff off the surface of the run.
To add insult to injury, Great Stuff is NOT RECOMMENDED for window installations. It can crush in the window frame. I just found that out this year and don't know if it applies to the low expansion version of Great Stuff.

yeah, i found that out later... i was careful not to let it expand too much... i removed it and then re-did it so it didn't expand so much.
The low expansion versions of all brands are OK for windows. They do not cure as quickly, so yoy can still mes up your hands for many hours if you touch it.
Stretch