insulation nicked outside of a box

Greetings,
Some time ago "blueman" asked the following within a thread and never received a response. I am reposting the question on his behalf because I am also interested in hearing the answers. I just don't recall the NEC addressing the issue. Perhaps it does and I just don't remember reading that part.
" Just out of [curiosity], what does the NEC allow if the insulation (but not the wire) is nicked outside of a box -- i.e. along a run. "
Thank you for your time and energy, William
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Greetings,
According to Rick, an electrical inspector from the Bloomington, MN code office @ 952-563-8930 it is acceptable to have a break in the outer insulation of Romex wire so long as it is wrapped with electrical tape. Breaks which expose the inner copper, etc are not acceptable. If the outer insulation is covered in breaks the inspector might request that the wire is re-run.
Hope this helps, William