insulating toilet tanks

Page 2 of 2

And as anyone with a hot tub and a cover knows, styrofoam eventually becomes water logged.
On 8/18/2010 11:54 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

MAN! ain't that the truth? Our hot tub cover got so heavy we could barely open it! I 'bout threw the new one off onto the ground the first few times i grabbed it.
--
Steve Barker

I also have to assume you live in an area with high humidity, correct? If this sweating/dripping problem doesn't last too long in your season, might a small tropical acquarium heater decrease the temp differential in the tank water if you don't flush too often? Jes a thought.
nb

That's thinking out of the box - a great idea.

everyone's ignoring your great suggestion
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:14:36 +0000, notbob wrote:

Hmm, possibly... yes, the really hot season is reasonably short here (northern MN) - so I don't like the idea of a hot water feed just because it's wasteful for most of the year; but some kind of local heater that I could easily turn off wouldn't be so bad.
On 8/17/2010 1:39 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

the trick is to lower the humidity in the house. And as a by-product of such action, the house will be a lot more comfortable to live in also. Try running the a/c.
--
Steve Barker
Jules Richardson wrote the following:

Like others have mentioned, I too had styrofoam lining the inside of the tank. It was from a kit that I bought. I think the lining was 3/8" thick. I was on well water, so the water entering the tank was about 60 degrees F. I then got central AC so the lining wasn't necessary anymore. I had a b***h of a time removing the glued on styrofoam lining from the tank.

Why would you remove it? It won't hurt anything left in there.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:57:31 -0400, willshak wrote:

Yeah, same deal here - well water sits at around 55 all year, although our hottest days are around 90 and it hits -20 in winter (with the basement then at around 60F).
First, make sure your flapoper is not leaking.
On Aug 17, 2:39pm, Jules Richardson

Make sure it isn't running constantly and running up your water bill. When I had a toilet sweating problem it was a faulty ballcock letting a constant stream of cool water into the tank.

They used to make tank covers to keep toilets from sweating. I haven't seen one for years, though. I have a broken tank lid (repaired but unsightly) and really don't want to replace the entire commode. :-(