Gremlins in my toilet tanks...?

First some background, my house will soon be 18 yrs. old, and 4-5 yrs. ago, the water line TO my house broke under my garage floor. So the contractor said the best [read cheapest] thing to do was run a new line to the house, which he did.

Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to notice, that he was increasing the size of the water line... and I've had nothing but problems since, with my toilets.

I have paid to have the insides of the tank replaced 3 times, and the line at the bottom where you shut the water off... and with each plumber it gets worse.

Yesterday, after having to shut off the water valve in the hall bath, because it was just spilling down the overflow tube... I heard this loud noise from my master bath. Went in to find the top of the tank had been moved several inches, and that was the clatter I heard of the top clanking, when it was lifted. This had happened once before, but 5 mins. or so, after using the MBR toilet ONLY.

And now it has happened 2 more times after using the MBR toilet. Everything works normally, but 5+ mins. after the bowl and tank have filled... something weird happens with enough force to displace the tank top.

My question is, as it was to these plumbers, is it because of the water pressure from the street being increased, and what can I do about it?

Or is it that these fixtures are just so old, these tank replacements won't fit? I don't want to call any of these plumbers back, because they treat me like an idiot, because I'm female. I may get ripped off a lot... but not by the SAME person. :-/

Another question is, if I just replace the toilet, what guarantee do I have it can withstand this water pressure? Or can that water pressure be reduced where it comes into the house, if that is the problem? Thanks for any & all advice.

bj

Reply to
chicagofan

The size of the pipe doesn't have an effect on the pressure in a low or no flow situation. In this case I think a good place to start would be to find out what the actual pressure is. Look at home depot and you will find a pressure gauge that attaches to a hose bib for around $8. Last time I needed one I found it in the underground sprinkler section.

There is a device on the water line that reduces street pressure to a lower level for the house. It is entirely possible that the original plumber bypassed yours by accident or by design. It is also possible that the unit has failed. Let us know what your pressure readings are and we will go from there.

Replacing the toilet tank innards is quite easy if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Would you explain this, "low or no flow" in layman's terms please? :) My house is a split level, and the baths are upstairs.

I'll keep this in mind, but I'm not sure I could handle what's required with my arthritic hands.

Is there any chance my County Water Dept. would check this for me, for a fee?

I think you probably could walk me through that, if it didn't require a lot of finger dexterity. I've become very familiar with the inside of those tanks, but not the inner workings of that post. [I know that's not the right name.] :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Agreeing 100% with Steve: The increased pipe size is not the problem; that alone won't increase the pressure. The Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) on the service may have failed, OR...maybe there never was one. Ask the Utility if they will come out and measure the pressure

*inside* the house and inspect for a PRV installed.

Pressure reading should be 50-60 PSI AND it should not go up measurably when the water heater fires up.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

More likely to be djinn or a bannik--traditionally, these critters (respectively in Muslim countries and in Russia ) inhabit water-pipes, community baths and outhouses. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Thanks, JIm. I will call the County and ask about this. I'm wondering if the plumber who installed the new line [from the street] by passed the PRV, because of something the landscape contractor did years ago when installing my sprinkler system.

Whatever the case, I've got to find the source of the problem. I finally got to see the ballcock assembly rising and lifting that tank top several times before it stopped. Kept waiting for the little gremlins to climb out. ;-) I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks again all,

Barbara

Reply to
chicagofan