Insulating ductwork

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?
On Apr 24, 8:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

if its ever moist fiberglass batt will attract moisture and no longer insulate, moisture ruins it.
spray foam is a better option or glued on foam board

They have insulation specifically made and sized for ducts. It has an aluminized looking outer cover. I've seen it used in basements and attics. Not sure about crawlspaces, but I would think it would be OK.
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:27:44 AM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:

Highly flammable spray foam or foam board sounds like a good, safe idea under the house, uncovered. Foil-backed rigid fiberglass board would be safer.

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:25:33 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

By the way, this is round duct.

The contractor was gonna put unbacked fiberglass on my heater ducts. When I added air conditioning, they switched to foil-backed to keep condensation out.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 05:25:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How long has the duct been there? Might be a better plan to just replace it with insulated duct.
I used the flexible round duct. It was dirt cheap- and *way* easier than cleaning the old ductwork, then figuring out how to wrap it in insulation.
The down side is that in the 10 yrs since I installed it, I've had one duct that a mouse decided to chew through and nest in. Now *that* made a disgusting mess when the heat came on that fall.
Jim

*I used duct wrap insulation when I did my metal ducts. It was perfect for the job with an overlapping foil edge. It comes in different thicknesses. It is fiberglass with a foil back. I sprayed a little aerosol glue on the duct to hold one end while I wrapped it around. The seams were taped with foil tape. I also caulked the duct joints to minimize losses. I bought the duct wrap at a local plumbing supply. Some examples:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)89&creative25&index=aps&keywords=duct%20wrap&linkCode=ur2&tag=mrelect-20
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:14:33 PM UTC-5, John G wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)89&creative25&index=aps&keywords=duct%20wrap&linkCode=ur2&tag=mrelect-20 Is there anything I can put over it to protect it from a cat clawing on it.

*Off hand nothing that I can think of except more sheet metal. The foil backing on the duct wrap is a little more durable than that of wall insulation.

I take it the crawl space also serves as a shelter for his cats? Otherwise, it would seem the best solution would be to make the crawl space animal proof. I don't think duct insulation would be particularly attractive to cats to claw on. Especially outside cats that have plenty of better things.
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:25:33 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It is a shelter for the cats. There is actually acess to it in my garage. The cats do claw at it and sometimes rest on top of it.