Installing fans on gable vents?

Page 2 of 2

posted: :<anip> : >Installing two passive Turban (Turbine) Vents in my roof accomplished the : >same end for (LOTS!) less expense to purchase and operate. : : What powers those things, to make them spin. Is it the wind, because : I live in a valley and don't have much wind. If it is the rising hot : air from the attic, what is the point of its spinning? <snip> : Meirman :
Convection "powers" them. Heat rises and exits through the vent. The turbine blades that make up the "turban" are rotated by the rising heated air and the pitch (of the blades) accelerates the air flow out of the attic. (The "turban" also has the added benefit of keeping rain out of the attic.)
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

How can it be both powered (spun) by the air flow and accelerating the air flow? Is it taking energy from the air or lending energy to the air?
If it were to do both, doesn't that sound like a perpetual motion machine?

Maybe turbines slow down the air less than ridge rails, and the only benefit of a turbine over a hole in the roof is that it keeps the rain out (while slowing the air down less than would be the case with say, a roof fan housing without the fan. Where the air has to go up, then sideways, and then up again.
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
From my personal experience, don't bother.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math