Installing round eve vents

I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by installing some of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a hole the right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My experience with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to fall out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold them?

Thanks Bill Gill

Reply to
BillGill

Acme Anti-Gravity Glue. Saw it in a Roadrunner cartoon.

Actually, I don't know.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not familiar with the ones at Lowes, but the ones I used as a kid had a slotted edge, with fingers that spread back out once you pushed it through the hole. Kinda like a giant version of the plug you use on an extra hole in a kitchen sink, except with screen in the middle, of course. I suspect the Lowes ones operate on a similar principle. You do have to use the correct size bit and make sure to hold it square and not let it wander around- the hole needs to be 'crisp'. They can't make them too complicated, or the price would be so high people wouldn't buy them. Back in the old days, they came in a 100-count box, any color you wanted, as long as it was mill finish.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

on 4/5/2008 10:30 AM BillGill said the following:

What type of eaves do you have? Are there soffits under the eves, or is the facia right against the house? If you have soffits, is there any reason not to use the rectangular ones? They have more vent area and have pre-drilled holes in the flanges to screw them in. I

Reply to
willshak

They usually stay in all by themselves, but you can use latex caulk to hold them in place if it makes you feel better. As another noted, they don't have a lot of free air area. You might want to look at cutting a slot with a circular saw and installing the 2" aluminum strip vents.

RicodJour

If they don't have any retaining ridges around the sides, I'd probably find some that do. Alternatively, a dab of caulk before it's inserted would work.

I'd also consider using other methods. With a small battery powered circular type saw, you could quickly make two runs down the whole side, open up a couple inch wide channel and insert that type vent.

Reply to
trader4

Are you sure you want to do this?

They have very little area and what there is is partially consumed by screening.

One rectangular vent would offer as much ventilation as twenty of those round jobbers - and with considerably less effort.

Reply to
HeyBub