Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

Page 1 of 3
Re: Insane House Cool-Down Scheme
'allo,
I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city, built in 1954. Shingled roof.
It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.
Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look like the Grand Canyon.
I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die a horrible, horrible death).
They don't meter the water supply here.
What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2 on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say, from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains heat like crazy)??
TIA, Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
A lot depends on the humidity in your area. If it's dry, the roof wet will help a lot.
Might also want to consider a sprayer to spray cold water on the outdoor AC (get your AC guy in on the plans). If there is little evaporation, that might lower the temp of the outdoor unit, and help system that way.
White curtains in the south and side windows to help block out the "greenhouse effect". White exterior paint. Well, maybe not for brick but....
Wish I was closer, I'd offer to come out and look at the system for you.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

1.) It's a Carrier, circa 1984, with long lines from the A-coil. I tried for years: it don't fix. 2.) Can't afford the elec. bill. I can run it a tiny bit, but now way all day/evening.
Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:49:27 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

The house fries mostly 'cause of the sun on the dark-brown shingles.

Thanks, but there's not much to it. Just a little brick bungalow in the sun.
Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
In some cases spraying water on your a/c will benefit performance however it can cause the system to over condense resulting in low head pressure causing evaporator to frost over doing more harm than good.
Shut off power supply to condenser and try washing out coil carefully not to bend coil fins

Lack of a hose or sprinkler? Can you shade the condenser? How about a fine mist on the condenser to remove more heat from the condenser? Do you have a basement? One tirck I use is to put the fan in the "ON" position and I also have cold air returns in the basement. This helps bring the cool basement air upstairs. If you're outa work, how about spending the day at Walmart?

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:34:39 -0500, "Mike Dobony"

More like I haven't figgered how to mount sprinklers/hose on the roof.

Wouldn't hep' that much. Can't afford to run the AC much ...

Si, senor.

Interesting. I don't have any returns in the bsmt, but I 'spose I could cut some.

Tell the truth: are those folks human?? :-)
Seriously, I'm pushing 60 and have some physical problems. Can no way stay on my feet all day.
Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Well you might try getting off your ass and get a job! you say you have no money but you have a computer and a ISP. need to save some money then turn off the A\C ...... On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:21:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Gmail.com (Puddin' Man) wrote:

Sorry; I am sure you didn't need that.
Puddin' Man wrote:

It don't cost nothin' to try...
It will work just fine, spray the roof till they come and install a meter! With fine thinking like that, Bush is gonna come knockin at your door when Greenspan retires but you'll be watchin stolen cable tv or too drunk to answer the door and accept the appointment. I love the comment about spending the day at wallmart but he prob already does, as an employee get paid next to nothing in sinking american dollars. This guys represents all that is great about americans! Lazy, broke, cunning. Anyone want to ad to the list?
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

message

How about too generous at allowing foreigners into our country to share our horrible life.
<snip>

He kinda sounds like those fine Canadian Indians I see when I'm up in Ontario fishing....only they're too drunk all the time to be cunning.

'furriners' and 'illegal migrants'. I guess we must like you spending those strong (i.e. expensive) US dollars. Fishing must be better up here?
However; springing to the defence of any/all Canadians, since we ARE a multicultural/multi-ethic country; that comment could be construed as racist; on two counts.
At very least iyt is not nice and stereotypes a whole group.
It does not belong on this 'Home repair group' any more than a Canadian commenting, here, on say Iraq or Viet Nam. There other more suitable forums for that.
Unfortunately we are, on occasion, being told how to think by our more numerous cousins in that smaller country to our south! No; not Mexico, amigo. How would Americans like it if other nations used an expression such as, "Those know it all Yanks"?
With the present air of protectionism and being in a state of siege within the borders of the USA we understand that you must make sure you have your American passport to get back into the "Good O'l US of A"?
Warm regards: Northern neighbour.
PS. If your friends can't make a comment who can? No ill will intended.
Bishoop wrote:

you shit head
you might try finding insulating materials to stuff in your attic ( any excess could be stuffed up Raid's "grand canyon". Also you might attack a pinhole orafice ( trying different sizes till you get good cooling with a minium af water ) to a hose and put it on the suction side of a fan, it takes alot of heat energy to change liquid water to gaseous water, much more than you might think. Or you might use a wetted cloth, but it would reduce airflow and might be hard to keep properly wetted. There are commercial units like for industrial spaces that that make great claims. good luck
Puddin' Man writes:

Physics.

I guess evaporative cooling doesn't work on your planet.
--
Regards,