Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question

Hello,
This is a really weird one.
Had a house inlet supply pressure reducing water valve put in by the town water Dept about a month ago. They used the typical Watts one, and all is fine. Body looks like it is a brass alloy of some sort, like they all do.
Today, I noticed the outside of the body has developed a greyish-white, hard, coating on it. Almost looks like an oxide of some sort, or an almost microscopic "pitting"
Location is dry. No leaks around pressure reducer.
I'll have them back to look at it, but was wondering if anyone ever had anything like this ?
Thanks, Bob
wrote Re Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question:

Yes, prior to valve body failure I had something like that.
I am assuming the body is brass. Believe it or not there is such a thing called porous brass and Im not talking about the deliberately manufactured type. If brass is not poured carefully into a mold of sand the sand may be infused into the brass itself causing the brass to become porous. I had to learn about it the hard way after I had brazed on a five inch brass tee and turned the water back on to 200 apartments. If the body is not brass you might try putting a magnet on the body to see if it sticks. Indicating iron content. Of course if they used some kind of aluminum then thats a different story.

*My first thought was dissimilar metals. Are your pipes galvanized or copper?
Robert11 wrote:

Watts house hold stuff seems to have turned into big box quality. I have know idea what they are made from the "brass" is just a coating.