Informal survey: appliance repair

Page 2 of 2

On 7 Oct 2006 06:04:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you have an Angie's list operating in your area it a great way to find reputable local service people of alll types.
www.angieslist.com
There's a small fee to join, but it's been worth it for me.
Paul
Small fee? $50 /year islot when one canask friends and neighbors for referrals. Paul Franklin wrote:

On 8 Oct 2006 16:18:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Not THAT small! Has to be paid annually. Not saying it isn't worthwhile (I haven't tried it); just pointing out real cost.
Aspasia

I fix it myself if I possibly can. I use Usenet and the web for my clues. I dread calling in people.... I now have a washing machine problem that I will probably post about tomorrow as a case in point..... Tomes
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I would make sure that no marketing majors worked for the company.
I had a bad experience with general electric service company. My dryer stopped working while I was away and I told my wife just to call someone. A repair man came and determined that I had blown a fuse to the dryer. He charged $30.00 for the call (I have no problem with this part of the charge) and $60.00 more for the labor. It seems absurdly overpriced to me to charge $60.00 just stick a multimeter into an electrical outlet. He did not diagnose the fuse circuit to the dryer or replace the fuse. I would not call any of the major repair companies. I would try to diagnose and/or fix the problem first myself. If I could not fix it, I probably would just replace the appliance. It seems to me that even a minor repair would cost over $100.00 for most items. If an appliance is over 6 or 7 years old as mine are, I would rather just replace it than spend 25% to 40% or its replacement costs to repair it.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

paul_d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

$30 for the drive over (pretty low) and a one hour minimum seem to be fairly standard.

I agree here. Most of the time they're just about at the end of their useful life when they first fail anyway. I had a drier eat a belt recently. I ordered the parts over the Internet and had it working the next weekend for $15 or so. If I failed at the repair attempt (never done it before) I would have just bought a new drier. Same with the dishwasher. I didn't even attempt to repair it. We were putting in a new floor and didn't want it to leak again.
--
Keith