[Indoor] Outdoor thermometer - sensor placement location...

Page 1 of 2
I live in Las Vegas, and I can't seem to find a good spot for my remote thermometer sensor.
The summer is the hard one. Keeping the sensor out of direct sun, and also out of a hot spot, is difficult. I need some ideas to try.
My father, who lived in Southern California had his sensor in a jar under a table, on the side of his house. But S. California weather is nothing like here [desert].
thanks marc
On 5/19/2012 1:22 PM, marco wrote:

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting

Maybe you can just put an "awning" ovef the sensor. Then it won't be in direct sun. Make it white or light tan

North side of house Perhaps with a couple "blinders" a foot or so away to shield it from the morning and evening sun. Primary need is good air circulation and no direct sun on it.
I settle for N side of house and ignore the effect of morning/evening sun but in Washington state conditions are nowhere near as extreme as Vegas.
Harry K
On Sat, 19 May 2012 12:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

My deck is 8' off the ground so I installed it under the deck. It will sometimes read a degree or two higher than my car located closer to the ground.

How much closer is your car to the ground?

The sensor is about 2 1/2' from the ground on the car, just over 8' on the deck.
Interesting enough, both the car and deck are supported by the ground.

I'll have to try that.

Same, same...sort of.
The landing to my deck is about 5' from the ground, on the north side of the house, surrounded by trees. My sensor is hung under the landing.
Neither of my cars have temp sensors, so I can't compare it to that but the local HS has a on-line weather station and my sensor always reads within a degree or 2 of that. The HS is about a mile as the crow flies from my house.
That kind of "general idea" of the temperature is good enough for me.
North facing wall, and put the sensor in some large PVC pipe, horizontal, so any breeze blows through? I'm just thinking, out loud.
I live in Las Vegas, and I can't seem to find a good spot for my remote thermometer sensor.
The summer is the hard one. Keeping the sensor out of direct sun, and also out of a hot spot, is difficult. I need some ideas to try.
My father, who lived in Southern California had his sensor in a jar under a table, on the side of his house. But S. California weather is nothing like here [desert].
thanks marc

BTW, I spent a week in Las Vegas about 45 years ago. By mistake, I ended up in the only hotel there that didn't have airconditioning, only air cooling, and only in the hall.
But I thought, The desert gets cold at night, and I'll be out all day, so it should be okay. Apparently Las Vegas is not desert anymore.
I tried sleeping in the back yard, but it was covered in gravel, and not little gravel either, medium to rock size, so it wasn't comfortable. Rough week. Never did memorize my blackjack tables.

Don't go there in the summer. They used to commonly call swamp cooling, air-conditioned. Refrigerated air was commonly advertised on entering eateries and stuff. The place might have advertised air-conditioned and be swamp cooling. Even with 105 degrees the swamp cooler is only going to get you into the low 80's
Greg

when it's 105 out,you don't want to be leaving anything colder than 80,at least if your acclimatized to hot climates. it would be like stepping into a blast furnace. I hate going in and out of places that have too great a temp difference from outside. Plus you waste a lot of energy.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 05/19/2012 09:37 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I'll agree with that... I never understood why places (offices, stores, etc.) seem to actually have indoor temps cooler in the summer than they do in winter. Just makes it that much more difficult to dress appropriately.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't understand that either. I think I've left early becaue I'm so cold. No one carries a coat in AC weather. .

On 05/20/2012 02:44 AM, micky wrote:

Well, I'm rarely cold indoors unless something's broken... I just don't see the sense in wasting the energy to cool a building to 65 degrees when everyone's dressed for 90 outside... and then turn around and heat it to 72 in the winter...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Have you measured this or are you just guessing? A dry 75F can feel downright cold when coming inside out of a humid 90F. Likewise, 65F when coming inside from 0F.
At work, they do keep it rather cool this time of year, though it varies widely depending on the "building" (in quotes because they all run together). It's "nice" in the area my cube is in but "freezing" in the Dilbertville 30' away.
We keep our house at about 65-68F in the Winter and 76-78F in the summer. Interestingly, we tend keep it cooler towards the end of the summer, when it's hotter outside. It bay be because the ground is a lot warmer (slab).
On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:53:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I didn't, and I think it's too late now, becase most of those places have stopped., I think. Costs too much money they finally decided.
About 4 years ago, I think I noticed that the water coolers in supermarkets, Home Depot etc. were no longer so cold. Has anyone else noticed this?

This thread wasn't past tense, at least it didn't appear that way to me.

Many have no refrigeration.
On Mon, 21 May 2012 21:33:53 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

?? The prior poster seems to still find such very cold stores, but I haven't noticed one in the last couple years. I don't go shopping much. When I said "I've left early..." that was present perfect tense.

Yes, but I wasn't counting those.